• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling home that may be unlivable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Steveng

What is the name of your state? California

I'm entrusted with selling the home of my mother who recently passed. The home has significant mold problems, as well as problems with the heating and possibly the pipes. The house would have to be a tear out and complete rebuild. The house has not been placed on the market yet and won't be for at least a month, but we've already had several neighbors and friends interested in purchasing the house "as-is" as an investment as it is a large lot in a very desirable neighborhood. One friend of my sister said that the house may be condemned as unlivable by the county due to its condition when we hire a realtor and have the pest inspection. We would then have to do repairs before selling, which none of us have the capital for. Is this the case or can we still sell "as is" even though the repairs needed may be very extensive? Thanks. :)

FarmerJ

As long as you make sure that you meet disclosures for things like lead based paint and other things wrong with the house you should be fine . This would be the perfect time for you to see a real estate atty to help you make sure that all your concerns are answered . The real estate atty will be able to assist you with making sure that every thing is covered so the property can be sold either as a true fixer uppper or AS IS ( tear down ) so nothing can bite you back . Try the links up top and locate a real estate atty .

HomeGuru

Steveng said:
What is the name of your state? California

I'm entrusted with selling the home of my mother who recently passed. The home has significant mold problems, as well as problems with the heating and possibly the pipes. The house would have to be a tear out and complete rebuild. The house has not been placed on the market yet and won't be for at least a month, but we've already had several neighbors and friends interested in purchasing the house "as-is" as an investment as it is a large lot in a very desirable neighborhood. One friend of my sister said that the house may be condemned as unlivable by the county due to its condition when we hire a realtor and have the pest inspection. We would then have to do repairs before selling, which none of us have the capital for. Is this the case or can we still sell "as is" even though the repairs needed may be very extensive? Thanks. :)

**A: demolish the home and sell the land only.

Steveng

HomeGuru said:
**A: demolish the home and sell the land only.

Thanks for the suggestions. Demolition really isn't an option as there is no cash to pay for that work. I was just curious as to whether we could be forced to repair things or if the house could truly be sold "as is" with full disclosures from the inspection?

Thanks. :)

HomeGuru

Steveng said:
Thanks for the suggestions. Demolition really isn't an option as there is no cash to pay for that work. I was just curious as to whether we could be forced to repair things or if the house could truly be sold "as is" with full disclosures from the inspection?

Thanks. :)

**A: have an attorney draft the disclosure statement and contract "as-is" addendum basically saying that the property is being sold for land value only as the home has no value, there were no inspections completed and the property may have environmental hazards, structural, electrical and mechanical problems, pests etc. Buyer should conduct their own inspections as the home is a "tear-downer"
In other words, the family spends no cahs. does no repairs and puts the liability on the Buyer. Another option would be to get a home inspection completed and attach same to the disclosure statement.

S

seniorjudge

HomeGuru said:
**A: have an attorney draft the disclosure statement and contract "as-is" addendum basically saying that the property is being sold for land value only as the home has no value, there were no inspections completed and the property may have environmental hazards, structural, electrical and mechanical problems, pests etc. Buyer should conduct their own inspections as the home is a "tear-downer"
In other words, the family spends no cahs. does no repairs and puts the liability on the Buyer. Another option would be to get a home inspection completed and attach same to the disclosure statement.
Excellent advice. Just let me add that you better keep any paperwork done on this place for the rest of your lives and those of your children and grandchildren.

HomeGuru

seniorjudge said:
Excellent advice. Just let me add that you better keep any paperwork done on this place for the rest of your lives and those of your children and grandchildren.

**A: who so long? The criteria for saving important docs is based on what?

S

seniorjudge

Q: who so long? The criteria for saving important docs is based on what?

A: Packratness.

HomeGuru

seniorjudge said:
Q: who so long? The criteria for saving important docs is based on what?

A: Packratness.

**A: wrong. Chuck E. Cheese says that it is based on the statutes of limitations for a lawsuit and/or an IRS audit.

jnazareno

go hire a pest inpection company. it's about $200 for the inpection.
should they find it unliveable, then disclosed it when you sell.
but you dont have to tear it down, it will cost money, let the buyer's do that.

ENASNI

ummm

jnazareno said:
go hire a pest inpection company. it's about $200 for the inpection.
should they find it unliveable, then disclosed it when you sell.
but you dont have to tear it down, it will cost money, let the buyer's do that.

its not just the "pack-rats" ie pests they are worried about, this will not cover all their assets..
Poster listen to the Guru and Da Judge...

jnazareno

how bad is the mold ? like all over the walls, carpet etc...
or just in the baths? maybe a little tilex would help?
I believe you can buy a mold tester somewhere on the net for like under $30
that will tell you if it's good or bad mold...I sold a home for client in berkeley
listed at $399k , with bad foundation, bad sidings , some molds, and more bad crap ( home repairs cost probably around $190k or more), and i had 25 offers and sold at $650,000...so before you tear it down
get someone to look at the place first. if your in the bay area look me up...

S

seniorjudge

jnazareno said:
how bad is the mold ? like all over the walls, carpet etc...
or just in the baths? maybe a little tilex would help?
HG, you get the Tilex® and I will get the sponges.

See you over there about 6 in the morning.

Oh, and THIS time, do NOT drink the Tilex®.

It's my turn....

HomeGuru

seniorjudge said:
HG, you get the Tilex® and I will get the sponges.

See you over there about 6 in the morning.

Oh, and THIS time, do NOT drink the Tilex®.

It's my turn....

**A: It's your turn to drive good ole John Deere.

Steveng

Thanks everyone. I'm not sure how bad the mold is. The roof had significant leaks and some of the drywall ceiling fell in and there is mold on some larege spots on the celieng. Not sure how bad it is above that. There is a new roof on the house now though. I've been referred to a real estate attorney by and agent friend of ours and I think we are going to use him for the transaction. Thanks again, you guys are awesome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">