• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling Rental Home in Phillipines-Tax Implications for U.S.A.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikellen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee.

Hello,

My wife and I live in the U.S.A. Before I met my wife she owned a rental home in her native country of the Philippines. We are currently in the process of selling that rental home to someone who lives in the United States (California). The buyer will be paying us in U.S. dollars (approximately $55,000) for the purchase of the home in the Philippines.

Since we will have to pay taxes to the Philippines for the sale of the home do we also have to pay taxes to the IRS in the U.S.A.?
If so then what is the tax rate or how is it calculated?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee.

Hello,

My wife and I live in the U.S.A. Before I met my wife she owned a rental home in her native country of the Philippines. We are currently in the process of selling that rental home to someone who lives in the United States (California). The buyer will be paying us in U.S. dollars (approximately $55,000) for the purchase of the home in the Philippines.

Since we will have to pay taxes to the Philippines for the sale of the home do we also have to pay taxes to the IRS in the U.S.A.?
If so then what is the tax rate or how is it calculated?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Yes, you will have to report the sale of the home on your US tax return. The amount of tax would be the difference between her basis (what she paid for the home plus improvements) and the selling price (sales price less selling expenses). The difference will be your capital gain. However, you will get a foreign tax credit for the amount of taxes paid to the Phillipines, therefore it may end up being close to a wash.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">