• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax Proration HELP -more than 365 days later!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laurel46

What is the name of your state? -FL

I received a letter and threatening phone call from the new buyers of my home more than a year after I sold it claiming I owe them money for 2005 taxes. At the 2005 closing, the closing company estimated my share( the seller's) of the taxes and they were paid at closing. The new buyer got the final tax bill later in 2005 and paid it in 2005. However, it is now December 2006 and they are just now contacting me and stating I owe them over $1500 to make up the difference in my portion of the estimated and known taxes.

My question is a) can they contact me over a year later about this? I paid what the closing agent told me to pay at closing and did not knowingly lie to anyone about the taxes... I did not know taxes would go up and always assumed whoever is in the house at the time pays the taxes when the bill comes...

b) i did sign a tax proration agreement along with the buyer but it only says "we (they buyer and seller) approve the prorartion at this time and if the taxes for the current year differ from those for last year we agree to make further adjustments between ourselves and do not hold the title company responsible for any changes in the amount"
This doesn't say I have to pay any differences or that I am liable for the entire amount, only that I agree to not bother the title company about it, correct?...I have made the buyer an offer to split the difference with him but am I honestly responsible for paying anything? They keep threatening to sue me?

Please help!

Some Random Guy

Based on your description of the terms of sale, you owe them the diffference between the estimate and the actual tax amount. Get a copy of the actual bill to verify the amount if necessary.

Yes, it would have been nice if they told you about it sooner, but unless your contract sets a specific time limit, you owe them the money. Your debt has not come anywhere near the sttute of limitations in one year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">