• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trouble ending contract with realtor/I am selling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hof

What is the name of your state? New York
I am attempting to end my contract with the realtor who has my house listed. I have contacted her and asked to end the contract. She told me that she would comply with my request but my house is still on MLS as hers, her sign is still in front of my house and I am concerned that she is not going to take it off of the market. The main reason for ending this contract was poor communication to the point where it effected the sale of our house. My experience has been that nothing is done by this person until a deadline is about to expire (i.e. sitting on an offer for two days and presenting it 8 hours before it is going to expire). How can I push her legally to remove my house from her listings? We would like to list someone else and want some time so that the house goes on as a new listing. Also, is there a legal time frame in which she needs to officially respond and remove my house from the MLS and her listings?

PghREA

When does your listing contract expire? If she agreed to end your contract early, there is usually a 10 day waiting period. In my state, the seller needs to send a Certified letter to the agency requesting the termination of the listing agreement and 10 days later it is terminated. Read the contract you signed to see what you need to do.

HomeGuru

Hof said:
What is the name of your state? New York
I am attempting to end my contract with the realtor who has my house listed. I have contacted her and asked to end the contract. She told me that she would comply with my request but my house is still on MLS as hers, her sign is still in front of my house and I am concerned that she is not going to take it off of the market. The main reason for ending this contract was poor communication to the point where it effected the sale of our house. My experience has been that nothing is done by this person until a deadline is about to expire (i.e. sitting on an offer for two days and presenting it 8 hours before it is going to expire). How can I push her legally to remove my house from her listings? We would like to list someone else and want some time so that the house goes on as a new listing. Also, is there a legal time frame in which she needs to officially respond and remove my house from the MLS and her listings?

**A: read your listing contract and have meeting with the principal broker.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">