• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Undisclosed house issues came up after buying house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

choris

What is the name of your state? Missouri

The house inspector did not notice any water level marks in the basement and did not catch a big fire smoke stain in the ceiling of one of the bedrooms. I bought the house and now I am discovering these hidden issues that were not listed in the Disclosure statement: there are water level marks in the basement and wood damage because of this (I don_t know how recent the water marks are). Also there is a big smoke stain in the bedroom ceiling and the door way (from a fire) that has been covered up by white paint, but if you pay more attention to the ceiling and the door way, you can actually detect a big smoke stain. What can I do under these circumstances? Can I fight the seller for withholding this information? or this issue is directed to the inspector? Should I get this problems documented by having a second inspection to the house? Can some one tell what steps to take?

Thanks you,

Choris-d

Last edited:

Gadfly

The house inspector did not notice the water level marks in the basement or any other damage because of this issue;
What issue kept the inspector from seeing these issues? Did you start in the middle of your conversation?

LindaP777

It could be that the water leak and the fire had occured previous to the last owner and he had no issues or no knowledge and his disclosure statement is correct. If he bought the house brand new, he's got some explaining to do.
And . . . are either of these past issues posing a problem to you now? Was the previous owner an occupant?

Last edited:

choris

update

The house was built in 1947, the previous owner only did the rehab and never lived in the house. My mayor concern is the risk of basement water accumulation when the rain season arrives.

LindaP777

The house was built in 1947, the previous owner only did the rehab and never lived in the house. My mayor concern is the risk of basement water accumulation when the rain season arrives.
If the prior owner just flipped the house, he has limited knowledge. I doubt if he can be held responsible and even if he could, what would you want from him?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">