• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid Property Taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toneal115

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Florida

I really need some guidance here! My husband and I closed on the sale of our home on 3/5/2004. The 2004 property taxes were prorated in the settlement charges. My husband of 27 years passed away 22 days later on 3/27/2004. He did not have a will. The money that was left from the sale of the home was used for funeral expenses and to pay off some old debts.
I did not know that he had not paid the 2003 property taxes at the time that we sold our home. I found out this week 4/4/2005, over a year after his death that he had not paid those taxes. The title company called to tell me.
My question is, shouldn't it have shown up when they did the title search that the taxes had not been paid?
Also, do I now have to pay those taxes? My husband had no life insurance so I basically am on my own. I am not in a financial position to pay the $1800.00 in taxes.
Thanks for any advice you can give.

HomeGuru

toneal115 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Florida

I really need some guidance here! My husband and I closed on the sale of our home on 3/5/2004. The 2004 property taxes were prorated in the settlement charges. My husband of 27 years passed away 22 days later on 3/27/2004. He did not have a will. The money that was left from the sale of the home was used for funeral expenses and to pay off some old debts.
I did not know that he had not paid the 2003 property taxes at the time that we sold our home. I found out this week 4/4/2005, over a year after his death that he had not paid those taxes. The title company called to tell me.
My question is, shouldn't it have shown up when they did the title search that the taxes had not been paid?
Also, do I now have to pay those taxes? My husband had no life insurance so I basically am on my own. I am not in a financial position to pay the $1800.00 in taxes.
Thanks for any advice you can give.
**A: yes, the title co. should have picked that up. And yes, you do have to pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">