• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unusual Situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LostInOhioLaws

I live in the state of Ohio. When I got divorced, me and my ex was suppose to sell the house. He was not willing to assist in this matter :mad: , so we agreed to buy him out. He signed a quit claim deed and I re-financed the mortgage into my name only. For the past 2 years, I have been making the payments. Only to find out that the deed has not been recorded in my name only, it is still in both names :eek: . Now I have filed bankruptcy,(house was not included) and during this process my financial status changed. I am behind in payments, so I was looking forward to a foreclosure taking place. When I went to court for the bankruptcy, and the Judge seen that the title had not been recorded in my name, he put a lien on the property and became the owner, (he said he's doing this to PROTECT me: confused:. So, last week he sent a realtor to put my house up for sale. I did not agree with her on the sale price and suggested what I thought the price should be :rolleyes: . She changed it to what I suggested. I was not impressed with her being the realtor in the sale of the house. My question: Is what has taken place legal and correct and can I choose who I want the realtor to be? Please help, I'm in need of legal advise in this matter ASAP!!! Thanks in Advance and I look forward to hearing from someone. :)

seniorjudge

LostInOhioLaws said:
I live in the state of Ohio. When I got divorced, me and my ex was suppose to sell the house. He was not willing to assist in this matter :mad: , so we agreed to buy him out. He signed a quit claim deed and I re-financed the mortgage into my name only. For the past 2 years, I have been making the payments. Only to find out that the deed has not been recorded in my name only, it is still in both names :eek: . Now I have filed bankruptcy,(house was not included) and during this process my financial status changed. I am behind in payments, so I was looking forward to a foreclosure taking place. When I went to court for the bankruptcy, and the Judge seen that the title had not been recorded in my name, he put a lien on the property and became the owner, (he said he's doing this to PROTECT me: confused:. So, last week he sent a realtor to put my house up for sale. I did not agree with her on the sale price and suggested what I thought the price should be :rolleyes: . She changed it to what I suggested. I was not impressed with her being the realtor in the sale of the house. My question: Is what has taken place legal and correct and can I choose who I want the realtor to be? Please help, I'm in need of legal advise in this matter ASAP!!! Thanks in Advance and I look forward to hearing from someone. :)

This is a typical situation that happens thousands of times a year all over the country.

So, let's start at the beginning.

What did YOU do with the quit claim deed you got from your ex-husband when he conveyed the land to you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">