• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Validity of Quit Claim Deed in Anne Arundel County, MD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Denday

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

Is it true that Anne Arundel County, MD requires that quit claim deeds be prepared by an attorney? What happens to a quit claim deed that was prepared at home and notarized but not filed at the clerk's office? Is it still valid? Can it be enforced? What is the proper way of filing a valid quit claim deed in Anne Arundel County, MD?

nextwife

Is the Deed properly drafted, with the full correct legal description, in recordable form and correctly formatted, signed and notarized? If so, did the Register of Deeds reject it for recording?

Denday

I don't know if it is properly formatted, it was created at home. I believe a sample online was taken and modified to reflect the appropriate names, dates, address, city, county, state, etc. It was signed and notarized, but it was never presented to record's clerk for filing/recording.

nextwife

I don't specifically know about recordings in your county, but in all the counties here, one cannot record unless it is properly set up and executed, even if it was drafted by an attorney. This is because documents are now run through imaging programs. Example, blue ink is ONLY allowed in the signature lines, certain margins must be maintained, the tax parcel number(s) must be just below the "return to" section and so on.

Does it contain the correct legal description? A deed MUST have the legal- the address is for informational purposes only.

So we cannot advise you from here if the document is properly drafted and if the party had good title when they signed it (they can only convey what they own). You should see an attorney. Personally, I wouldn't accept a quit claim even from my own mother without title insurance, because most people don't themselves know or understand what constitutes a lien against title.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">