• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Waived inspections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tee559

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? PA

My husband and I recently closed on a house (7/13/05). This house was sold to us by his cousin. Cousin indicated in early June that he was in the "business" of buying, rehabing and selling homes. Indicated that his home (which we visited many times) was up for sell and did we want to buy. Told us he would set us up with his broker who would help in getting us financed due to some credit issues we had. When my husband went to sign the papers on the purchase all inspections had been waived. Since this WAS a trusted family member, my husband signed to waive inspections.

Now that we have been in the house for a few months, we have had many problems. Many leaks in plumbing, one which came through kitchen ceiling. Water leakage in basement, issues with roof shingles/facia, tons of bees etc. The final straw for me was when the weather changed and tried to turn on the furnace (which did not work). "Cuz" had heating system totally shut down including pilot light claiming he wanted to save money. Have had to have the furnace serviced twice and may need to replace soon.

Needless to say, we feel like "Cuz" pulled a number on us being that he never disclosed any of these problems and my husband being naive trusted him.

Finally, my question. Do we have any recourse in these issues since my husband intially waived all inspections.

BelizeBreeze

Tee559 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? PA

My husband and I recently closed on a house (7/13/05). This house was sold to us by his cousin. Cousin indicated in early June that he was in the "business" of buying, rehabing and selling homes. Indicated that his home (which we visited many times) was up for sell and did we want to buy. Told us he would set us up with his broker who would help in getting us financed due to some credit issues we had. When my husband went to sign the papers on the purchase all inspections had been waived. Since this WAS a trusted family member, my husband signed to waive inspections.
And that is why YOU DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH FAMILY!
Now that we have been in the house for a few months, we have had many problems. Many leaks in plumbing, one which came through kitchen ceiling. Water leakage in basement, issues with roof shingles/facia, tons of bees etc. The final straw for me was when the weather changed and tried to turn on the furnace (which did not work). "Cuz" had heating system totally shut down including pilot light claiming he wanted to save money. Have had to have the furnace serviced twice and may need to replace soon.
And was this disclosed in your documents?
Needless to say, we feel like "Cuz" pulled a number on us being that he never disclosed any of these problems and my husband being naive trusted him.

Finally, my question. Do we have any recourse in these issues since my husband intially waived all inspections.
That depends on what your purchase contract says. Hold it up to the monitor so we can read it.

Get the point?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">