• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wet Basement Not Disclosed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RacerRik

What is the name of your state? Missouri
I just purchased a 23 year old home and the basement has flooded two times in the three weeks I have owned the house. We did have an unusually large amount of rain the two times it flooded. This is a big deal to me because we are planning to use the basement for living space. We already had a room setup for my son and all his things got soaked, so he is now sharing a room with his brother.

The owner claims the basement has never leaked (she is the original owner) and states so on the disclosure form. However, there are stains on the bottom edges of shelves and cabinets in the basement. Neither my wife, myself, or our inspector noticed the stains before we purchased the property, but it is apparent that water has been a problem quite a few times since there is even delamination on the plywood panels.

I am getting quotes for installation of a drain tile and sump system. I expect it to cost about $10,000. Should the seller be liable for this cost?

jdog274

From past experience, you may want to have some mold testing if it appears to have a past history of water problems.

HomeGuru

RacerRik said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri
I just purchased a 23 year old home and the basement has flooded two times in the three weeks I have owned the house. We did have an unusually large amount of rain the two times it flooded. This is a big deal to me because we are planning to use the basement for living space. We already had a room setup for my son and all his things got soaked, so he is now sharing a room with his brother.

The owner claims the basement has never leaked (she is the original owner) and states so on the disclosure form. However, there are stains on the bottom edges of shelves and cabinets in the basement. Neither my wife, myself, or our inspector noticed the stains before we purchased the property, but it is apparent that water has been a problem quite a few times since there is even delamination on the plywood panels.

I am getting quotes for installation of a drain tile and sump system. I expect it to cost about $10,000. Should the seller be liable for this cost?
**A: have the home inspector recheck the basement and tell you why he/she did not notice the stains and other indicators of water infiltration.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">