• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is considered a bedroom?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seniorjudge

While there is no set description of what makes up a bedroom, most honest realtors use a general description.
Correct.

From the North Carolina Real Estate Commission:

To be or not to be...
A bedroom?

Reports are that some brokers are mischaracterizing certain rooms as “bedrooms”.

Specifically, in order to enhance the marketability of homes listed for sale, they are submitting information to multiple listing services and through advertising identifying as “bedrooms” rooms which were never designed or intended for such use.

As a result, prospective purchasers seeking homes with the number of bedrooms shown in the MLS are frustrated and angry when their agents show them homes where one or more of the “bedrooms” is clearly not suited for that purpose - even though the seller may have used the room as a bedroom.

The question then arises, “What is a bedroom?” Although there is no clear answer, here are some factors to consider when classifying a room as a bedroom:

Is there a clothes closet in or conveniently available to the room? However, since bedroom closets were not a common design feature in many older homes, do not disqualify rooms in these homes which do not contain closets if they were clearly intended to be used as bedrooms.

Is there sufficient space in the room to accommodate standard bedroom furniture? 8’x10’ is suggested for a single bed, and 10’x11½’ for double beds.

Does the home comply with governmental regulations (septic tank requirements, fire and safety codes, etc.) pertaining to bedrooms? When in doubt, check with the appropriate local government agency.

To paraphrase a classic song, “A room is not a bedroom, just because there’s someone sleeping there.” So, save potential buyers and their agents time and trouble, and save yourself possible action from the Real Estate Commission by using your common sense and exercising reasonable judgment when determining whether a room is, for listing purposes, a bedroom.

Silverplum

Thank you J991!

I appreciate you answering my question and giving me some insight.

Aren't we all here just looking for some ideas/suggestions/thoughts etc.
No. "We" aren't.

You can be thrilled, however, that someone gave you an answer. You seem the type to take any answer, so long as you get one.

Here's an answer: Mustard.

Here's another, specially tailored to your situation: Chihuahua.

There ya go. 3 answers in 1 day.

:rolleyes:

maveric75

Thanks for the maturity! Didn't realize I was talking to a kid in jr high.

I will make sure to use you for legal advice in the future!

swrdmbo

A loft is definitely not a bedroom. Aside from the help you've been given here I will warn you that there are banks that will not give mortgages for 1 bedroom homes.That may influence your decision to buy.Good luck.

While I am glad to help I might suggest you go to a different website that deals in appraising real estate.There are several that will do a mock appraisal for specific areas. Type it in as 1 bedroom, then 2 and see what happens. Don't waste a Realtor's or Appraiser's time with your questions. It is something you can do yourself.

This is a legal forum and your inability or refusal to recognize this has resulted in some of the more entertaining answers you have received. They are hoping you get the drift.

maveric75

No offense taken. I just wanted to throw my question out there. I understand this is a legal forum. I am not looking for a lawyer as I know this site just offers views which is all I am looking for.
Quite frankly when there is a serious issue on this forum that someone has the replies tend to be " go get a lawyer". Not the answer anyone is looking for when they are posting something on a forum.

ecmst12

Since there is no LAW that defines a bedroom for the purpose of real estate sales (there are laws that define a bedroom for the purposes of RENTING a house or apartment in many places), your question is not legal but ethical. And since this is a legal forum, you can expect some grief when you post non-legal questions.

Now, if you were buying this home with the intent of renting it out, you would want to check out your state and local landlord/tenant laws on what is a bedroom and what occupancy limits might be placed on the house as it is. But if you intend on living there yourself, those laws wouldn't make any difference to you.

While there is no set description of what makes up a bedroom, most honest realtors use a general description. That is a bedroom should be at least 8' x 8' or similiar in total square footage, have a closet, and a door. The description that you gave the room sounds more like a loft that may be used as a bedroom. The value of the house can and probably will be affected by the difference between a 1bd/loft and a 2bd. The exact amount can vary from day to day and I suggest contact a local realtor to determine what the value difference may be. In giving an offer, the explanantion need not be anymore in depth than the fact that you disagree with the description of the second bedroom based on the layout of the house.
A far as value for a home, it is not worth what you are will to pay for it, a homes "worth" comes from it being appriased, compared with what other homes in that area with simulair qualities and sq footage have sold for in the past year...and no a bedroom is NOT a set standard size of 8x8 with closet. some realtors may state that a room w/out a closet is a bedroom or office, still can be stated as a bedroom though. In short term a bedroom is a room where there is privacy (no, that isnt an exact definition), there for if it isnt a "main room" in the home, it COULD be deemed as a bedroom. Also on a listing sheet or paper it is stated that the realtors statements are "deemed reliable but not guaranteed" your best bet, go to the auditiors card, there you will find if the goverment finds it to be a two or one bedroom home.

masterkel

No, it is not considered a bedroom

I have been in Real Estate for many years and in order to re-sell a property as a technical 'bedroom' it must have a closet. It does not have to be large or a walk-in, but in order to place a home on the market and sell it as a 2 bedroom, it must be technically a TWO bedroom, both must have a closet of some sort. Some agents refer to a 'loft area' or den (no walls) as another bedroom, this is simply jargon, if it has no closet, it is not another bedroom!
If it does not (which you state it does not) then I would make a fair offer considering you will not likely be able to re-sell the property as a two bedroom home/unit. In today's market, I'm sure they will take your offer..lol . Worse case scenario, they counter offer, and you can negotiate further from there on a price that satisfies both parties (buyer & seller). You could also make an offer contingent upon the current owners installing a closet before you purchase the property.
I hope this helps.

I'm new to this forum as well and getting a straight answer was like pulling teeth:D

I have been in Real Estate for many years and in order to re-sell a property as a technical 'bedroom' it must have a closet. It does not have to be large or a walk-in, but in order to place a home on the market and sell it as a 2 bedroom, it must be technically a TWO bedroom, both must have a closet of some sort. Some agents refer to a 'loft area' or den (no walls) as another bedroom, this is simply jargon, if it has no closet, it is not another bedroom!
If it does not (which you state it does not) then I would make a fair offer considering you will not likely be able to re-sell the property as a two bedroom home/unit. In today's market, I'm sure they will take your offer..lol . Worse case scenario, they counter offer, and you can negotiate further from there on a price that satisfies both parties (buyer & seller). You could also make an offer contingent upon the current owners installing a closet before you purchase the property.
I hope this helps.

I'm new to this forum as well and getting a straight answer was like pulling teeth:D
So I did some research, I also have worked in real estate for a very long time, and can admit when wrong, though I am not all wrong, FHA DOES require a closet, but to list a property with no closet IS allowed (most states may require agent put on listing sheet "no closet"). And the agent may not need to change the number of bedrooms, agian refer to auditors card. So it will depend on your financing. making it contingent upon current owners putting a closet in may be unlikely depending on why they are selling or if corperate owns it, adding another closet on your own will no doubt help some of your value in the future. Never the less, if you are looking to drasticlly cutting your offer based on a closet may not be the way to go, but you never know, it all depends on the "why" factor of the sellers.....

PghREA

While there is no set description of what makes up a bedroom, most honest realtors use a general description. That is a bedroom should be at least 8' x 8' or similiar in total square footage, have a closet, and a door. The description that you gave the room sounds more like a loft that may be used as a bedroom. The value of the house can and probably will be affected by the difference between a 1bd/loft and a 2bd. The exact amount can vary from day to day and I suggest contact a local realtor to determine what the value difference may be. In giving an offer, the explanantion need not be anymore in depth than the fact that you disagree with the description of the second bedroom based on the layout of the house.
It also should include a window for egress in case of fire. Actually, anything can be used for a bedroom. However, in my MLS, the room must have a closet, door and window to be advertised as a bedroom. As others have said, the value of a bedroom verses a loft comes from what buyers are willing to pay. In the end, it's the seller who will accept or reject the offer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">