• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is considered a bedroom?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maveric75

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am currently looking at a house in CA. There is a house on the market listed as a 2 bedroom. I checked out the property and it looks more like a 1 bedroom with a loft. The "loft" has stairs going up to the with no door, does have a window upstairs, is not enclosed as you can see downstairs and does not have a closet. What would you consider this to be?

Another question I have is if this house is actually considered a one bedroom with a loft and not a two bedroom how much does that decrease the value? Rough figure would be helpful.

I would think a one bedroom with a loft and not a two bedroom house would drastically decrease the value of the property.

tranquility

Make an offer based on your perception and see if they take it. My goodness, you know the reality of what it is, why do you care how it is described? There is not a legal description of things in real estate ads. The purpose is to tell you about the property.

maveric75

What is considered a one bedroom?

Yes I have seen what it looks like. Maybe I did not make myself clear on what I was trying to get at by asking my question. I would like to know the definition of a bedroom is as that will allow me to justify or not justify what I ask for the property.

Real estate is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I have a figure in mind, but wanted to justify it with the real estate agent as this is a bank owned property who they represent. If I don't know the real estate definition my justification is not going to mean much. Do you see where I am coming from?

To me and many buyers out there, a one bedroom with a loft vs a two bedroom is a big difference in asking price. Especially if you are looking at comps. You can't compare a two bedroom comp with a one bedroom and loft. They aren't comparable.

I realize it is only worth what I am willing to pay but if you could please give some insight on a $ figure for the differences typically in a two bedroom vs 1 bed with loft that would be appreciated.

Thank you!

seniorjudge

Q: I realize it is only worth what I am willing to pay but if you could please give some insight on a $ figure for the differences typically in a two bedroom vs 1 bed with loft.

A: Real estate is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

WE are not a forum of appraisers. im sure the appraisal has exactly what it is and the current market value. you need one anyway. so just do that.

maveric75

What is with your responses....I can get better responses from my dog:)

Is this not a valid question??? I am trying to justify a reasonable dollar amount for a loft that is not a bedroom. The real estate agent is listing their price based on a two bedroom house.

I would like to make an offer and explain why my offer is the way it is based on some reasonable figures. Are you telling me it doesn't matter?

It would be much harder to sell a one bedroom house than a two bedroom house typically correct?

tranquility

No, it is not a valid question. Certanty is not a part or parcel of real property. Property (Actually, the bundle of rights associated with the particular sale.) is not a math game--but a value game. While the particular "difference" may or may not matter, it is *your* choice, not a court's legal one.

maveric75

I am not talking about a legal matter. Simply looking for some reasonable advice.

Not sure how asking what the definition of a bedroom is and what the typical value of a bedroom vs a loft is not a valid question.

If you don't know then that's fine. I just wanted a reason behind my justification of what I was offering so that it would come across as reasonable. To let them know that I am serious in my offer and how I came to what I came to without offending the owner.

Sure if I just threw out an offer and didn't justify it at all they would say screw off. But what I was doing here in asking my question was to look for some insight. Not looking for what an appraiser thinks it is worth but just a general ball park view.

Again, I am not looking for a legal answer. Looking for what the typical value is in today's market of a bedroom vs a loft. That's all.

I could ask what is the typical value of a remodeled kitchen vs a kitchen that has not been remodeled. Similar question, but one has a certain percentage of increased value over the other.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Not sure how asking what the definition of a bedroom is and what the typical value of a bedroom vs a loft is not a reasonable question.

Because (as we have already pointed out) there is no such definition.

Silverplum

I am not talking about a legal matter. Simply looking for some reasonable advice.
blahblahblah
Sorry to ask such an unreasonable question here:)
If you aren't here to discuss a legal matter, then why are you here?

FreeAdvice Legal Forum. What part of that do you not understand?

If you want to discuss real estate transactions, that office is on the third floor. :rolleyes:

j991

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am currently looking at a house in CA. There is a house on the market listed as a 2 bedroom. I checked out the property and it looks more like a 1 bedroom with a loft. The "loft" has stairs going up to the with no door, does have a window upstairs, is not enclosed as you can see downstairs and does not have a closet. What would you consider this to be?

Another question I have is if this house is actually considered a one bedroom with a loft and not a two bedroom how much does that decrease the value? Rough figure would be helpful.

I would think a one bedroom with a loft and not a two bedroom house would drastically decrease the value of the property.
While there is no set description of what makes up a bedroom, most honest realtors use a general description. That is a bedroom should be at least 8' x 8' or similiar in total square footage, have a closet, and a door. The description that you gave the room sounds more like a loft that may be used as a bedroom. The value of the house can and probably will be affected by the difference between a 1bd/loft and a 2bd. The exact amount can vary from day to day and I suggest contact a local realtor to determine what the value difference may be. In giving an offer, the explanantion need not be anymore in depth than the fact that you disagree with the description of the second bedroom based on the layout of the house.

maveric75

Thank you J991!

I appreciate you answering my question and giving me some insight.

Aren't we all here just looking for some ideas/suggestions/thoughts etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">