• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do if you can't find a co-owner?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

conchalito

What is the name of your state? TX
Hi all,
A cousin in TX is selling her home, but apparently can't find the co-owner listed on the deed. She is ready to buy another home so is anxious to sell. She has asked my sister is she can mail the deed out to her home in CA, have it mailed back, my cousin signs it, sends it back to CA at which point my sister would mail it to the address noted. This sounds a bit fishy and we're not sure what it is meant to accomplish. Should we just stay out of it? My cousin did say her agent gave her the suggestion.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

laura

nextwife

Darn tootin it smells fishy. If your sister being asked to sign is NOT the co-owner she would be committing FRAUD! Your sis can ONLY deed what SHE owns, no way she should sign as someone else. Yikes.

The owner needs to file a "quiet title action" . Fraud is NOT the appropriate way to do this, nor is it likely this suggestion came from a RE professional.

Last edited:

conchalito

Thanks,
She's not being asked to sign anything, just send the deed back and forth. I was told this maybe a way to assume that she is looking for the co-owner but is not able to find her. Even without having to sign anything, it still seems fishy to me.

nextwife

They are idiots if they think sending a deed around, unsigned, will in any way satisfy the title company requirements for insuring this conveyance. IT serves no pupose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">