• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

12 Year old Granddaughter wants to live with her father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Crissiew

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington

My 12 year old granddaughter asked me to find out how she can move out of her mother's and into her father's home with him and his new wife. I know her father and stepmother would like to have custody of her, however they have been advised by a lawyer that due to the fact that there has been no abondonment or abuse by the mother or her roommates they have no recourse. So my granddaughter wants to talk to a judge and tell him/her that she wants to live with her father. The main reaon she wants to move is because at her mothers house she shares a room with 3 other children sho aren't her siblings, one of which is a boy. At her father's he has her own room, however there are many other reasons. I need to know what course of action to take to help her. What rights does my granddaughter have?

JETX

Crissiew said:
I need to know what course of action to take to help her. What rights does my granddaughter have?
As a child, your granddaughter has very little 'rights'. She will have to petition the court for a modification of the current court order. This would have to be done by her parent(s) or a 'guardian ad litem' (attorney) acting on her behalf.

Crissiew

So how do I go about getting my granddaughter a guardian ad litem(attorney) to help her petition the court. I need any info you can give me.

LdiJ

Crissiew said:
So how do I go about getting my granddaughter a guardian ad litem(attorney) to help her petition the court. I need any info you can give me.
Realistically what her dad needs to do is petition the courts for custody. That is the normal and most logical way to go about things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">