• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 Year Old Wants To Move In With Me.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DAISEYCHIK

CALIFORNIA.
5 years ago I lost custody of my 2 girls to my ex husband. I have changed my lifestyle and now my 16 year old wants to move back with me, the 15 year old doesn't want to leave her friends. The orig. judgement was in the county I was living in, where the orig. divorce was issued ( Lake county). I know live in Contra Costa county and the kid are in Sonoma County. About 1 hour away. We have 50/50 legal custody with primary physical going to the father. He has agreed to the move. We both prefer to change the court case to Sonoma County (where the kids live now). How do we do that ??
Also, do we need to go back to court or can we simply file the agreement between us?
Any help would be great!!-Thanks!

casa

DAISEYCHIK said:
CALIFORNIA.
5 years ago I lost custody of my 2 girls to my ex husband. I have changed my lifestyle and now my 16 year old wants to move back with me, the 15 year old doesn't want to leave her friends. The orig. judgement was in the county I was living in, where the orig. divorce was issued ( Lake county). I know live in Contra Costa county and the kid are in Sonoma County. About 1 hour away. We have 50/50 legal custody with primary physical going to the father. He has agreed to the move. We both prefer to change the court case to Sonoma County (where the kids live now). How do we do that ??
Also, do we need to go back to court or can we simply file the agreement between us?
Since you both agree~ it's a matter of filing for modification of the custody/visitation order.

You don't need an attorney to file documents with the courts. However, they cannot give out any legal advice, so you would have to research on your own to make sure you are filing all of the proper documents.

I live in Ohio have filed my own dissolution, and also helped my husband file his own custody paperwork when he and his ex agreed on a change of custody for one of their daughters. I did a lot of research online, then went to the Library and got a book called How to File Your Own Divorce in Ohio...I'm sure your library will have one for California, too. There's a nice section in the book about modifying a court order, which is where you would look for the change of custody.

I have heard, though, that CA judges don't like seperate siblings ... so that might be an issue.

DAISEYCHIK said:
CALIFORNIA.
We didn't have to go back to court since we agreed on everything on the custody change... we filed the paperwork and the judge signed everything, then we got copies of everything in the mail. But California could be different.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">