• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 yr old seeking custody with grandmother.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BritBrat7

I live in Florida,I'm 16, and I am seeking custody with my grandmother. I am currently a Junior in High school and I constantly get into fights bi-monthly with my mother. When these fights occur they involve school resource officers, police, and moving away with family in different states. My dilemna is if that ever comes to happening, I'm 16 and at the age to Emancipate myself, but my grandmother lives 15 minutes away and I can continue schooling at the same school, graduate, and go off to college. But I am not too sure about the technicalities with the situation. They're are many factors as to why I don't want to switch schools i.e; Extracurricular activities, stable job, Vice-President of my student body(and have been class officer for all 3 yrs), well know amongst school staff and peers etc...If I were to move in with my grandmother I would also question the factor of child support. Living in another year with my "mother" is too much and I am afraid academically and mentally will be jeopardized.

casa

BritBrat7 said:
I live in Florida,I'm 16, and I am seeking custody with my grandmother. I am currently a Junior in High school and I constantly get into fights bi-monthly with my mother. When these fights occur they involve school resource officers, police, and moving away with family in different states. My dilemna is if that ever comes to happening, I'm 16 and at the age to Emancipate myself, but my grandmother lives 15 minutes away and I can continue schooling at the same school, graduate, and go off to college. But I am not too sure about the technicalities with the situation. They're are many factors as to why I don't want to switch schools i.e; Extracurricular activities, stable job, Vice-President of my student body(and have been class officer for all 3 yrs), well know amongst school staff and peers etc...If I were to move in with my grandmother I would also question the factor of child support. Living in another year with my "mother" is too much and I am afraid academically and mentally will be jeopardized.
That is exactly what you tell the court, and write in your affidavit/declaration when Gma files for guardianship.

Get copies of any/all police reports and documentation of all the people you've lived with etc. Also file your academic achievements or certificates, etc.

Can Gma find an attorney? It's difficult, but not impossible, to represent yourselves...I don't recommend it if there is any other way at all.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Whose behavior requires the intervention of school resource officers and the police?

BritBrat7

Well I don't have an alarm clock to wake up due to the fact she through it up against the wall.. So i have my cell phone that goes off once and i am expected to get up to it.. So she said since I was late than she "was" going to call the school resource officer on me and if i back talk her cause she called me a nasty name then she says shes going to call the cops on me... But we have had drop down kick out fights where it has involved the cops.. which she has spoken to them completely wasted and they have just told me that if the situation keeps occuring than they're going to take me out of the house or send me to juvi.. But i dont understand how when I haven't done anything to the extent to be sent there i.e sold drugs, beat my mother up, stolen her car, etc...

Zephyr

BritBrat7 said:
Well I don't have an alarm clock to wake up due to the fact she through it up against the wall.. So i have my cell phone that goes off once and i am expected to get up to it.. So she said since I was late than she "was" going to call the school resource officer on me and if i back talk her cause she called me a nasty name then she says shes going to call the cops on me... But we have had drop down kick out fights where it has involved the cops.. which she has spoken to them completely wasted and they have just told me that if the situation keeps occuring than they're going to take me out of the house or send me to juvi.. But i dont understand how when I haven't done anything to the extent to be sent there i.e sold drugs, beat my mother up, stolen her car, etc...

you said you have a stable job- there are alarm clocks available for 10 bucks at any wal mart

if you weren't doing anything wrong you would be on your way to a foster home, not juvi

what else????

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">