• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 of 3 children want to move out of legal gurdians care and into fathers out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Becktall

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? trumbull county ohio

my 12 year old son would like to move in with me after school this year, sooner if possible. i have a 17 year old junior in highschool who also wants to stay with me the entire summer to see if she would be able to make the decision of moving in with me. what steps should i take to get things lined up for my summer visitation. would the courts allow my 17 year old to make that decision of staying all summer with me instead of the 4-6 weeks im court ordered in our final decree? what are the chances of my 12 year old son being able to move in with me if his mother does not want this to happen? what are the chances of them splitting my children up in this matter? i live over 8 hours away from their mother.

thank you

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Please keep your posts together so that we don't have to search for your backstory. Thank you.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess

my 12 year old son would like to move in with me after school this year, sooner if possible. i have a 17 year old junior in highschool who also wants to stay with me the entire summer to see if she would be able to make the decision of moving in with me. what steps should i take to get things lined up for my summer visitation. would the courts allow my 17 year old to make that decision of staying all summer with me instead of the 4-6 weeks im court ordered in our final decree? what are the chances of my 12 year old son being able to move in with me if his mother does not want this to happen? what are the chances of them splitting my children up in this matter? i live over 8 hours away from their mother.

thank you
Why are you letting your son make such decisions? He's 12 years old and you're not just wanting to change custody ... you're wanting to move him out of state. If Mom doesn't agree, your chances are slim-to-none.

Becktall

Why are you letting your son make such decisions? He's 12 years old and you're not just wanting to change custody ... you're wanting to move him out of state. If Mom doesn't agree, your chances are slim-to-none.
i am not trying to have my children make these decisions. my ex will not communicate with me. she has me blocked on cell phone, text message and email. my 3 children are living with their mother at her boyfriends 900 sq ft house. they are living in basement, with sheet dividing two rooms for my 2 daughters and my son. the children are telling me that the basement floods when it rains and gets their clothes wet if they are on the ground and my son tells me that the "rats" are keeping him up at night. as a father it does raise many concerns hearing them say things like this. its not just my son saying it. the mold that could be in the basement were they spend the majority of their time from the water is very concerning. if you had zero communication with the other party how would you recommend i go about this business?

CJane

Regardless of the children's wishes, you would have to file in court to modify the existing order, and then prove that there has 1) been a significant change in the circumstances of the children and 2) that it would be in the children's best interests to move to another state with a parent they've only had long distance visitation with.

The chances of that happening before your 12 year old ages out of the order are slim. Before your 17 year old ages out? 0

Becktall

Ive been the sole provider for my 12 year old for 10 years of his life. I just recently moved out of state just over a year

CJane

Ive been the sole provider for my 12 year old for 10 years of his life. I just recently moved out of state just over a year
It's irrelevant. The judge is precluded from considering ANYTHING prior to the current order. And the current order says the kids live with Mom.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

thank you
You have no chance of this happening. Children do NOT choose. End of story. Get that out of your head.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
i am not trying to have my children make these decisions. my ex will not communicate with me. she has me blocked on cell phone, text message and email. my 3 children are living with their mother at her boyfriends 900 sq ft house. they are living in basement, with sheet dividing two rooms for my 2 daughters and my son. the children are telling me that the basement floods when it rains and gets their clothes wet if they are on the ground and my son tells me that the "rats" are keeping him up at night. as a father it does raise many concerns hearing them say things like this. its not just my son saying it. the mold that could be in the basement were they spend the majority of their time from the water is very concerning. if you had zero communication with the other party how would you recommend i go about this business?
1. I would talk to te other parent.
2. I would tell my kids to stop leaving their clothes on the floor.
3. Do you actually know there are rats?
4. Mold that "could be" ... IS there mold?

You could always call CPS.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
So the kids want to move in with Dad, right about the same time Dad is wanting to reduce the child support obligation.

Heck of a coincidence, that is.

Becktall

Not looking to reduce support permanately. My new position is base salary with commission, however until build up my clientele I will not be making the amount per month I owe.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am not buying the conditions of the house you describe. Really I am not. And there is ONE big reason why.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">