• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

" 3 day weekend" should be my custody, but her moms claims its 4 days...so nope

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blurcott

" 3 day weekend" should be my custody, but her moms claims its 4 days...so nope

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

This upcoming weekend is my normally scheduled weekend. It is also MLK day. We recently had the orders changed so that when a 3 day weekend fell on my weekend I would have custody until Monday instead of Sunday. So I was expecting 3 days.

I received an email from Mom saying that because there happens to be a Teacher In-Service day on Friday (No school), that it technically becomes a 4 days weekend where our orders specifically says 3 day weekends. I know its malicious and petty of her but the orders do say 3.

Is there any definition of three day weekend? Its not a state or county holiday on Friday, just in her specific school district.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

This upcoming weekend is my normally scheduled weekend. It is also MLK day. We recently had the orders changed so that when a 3 day weekend fell on my weekend I would have custody until Monday instead of Sunday. So I was expecting 3 days.

I received an email from Mom saying that because there happens to be a Teacher In-Service day on Friday (No school), that it technically becomes a 4 days weekend where our orders specifically says 3 day weekends. I know its malicious and petty of her but the orders do say 3.

Is there any definition of three day weekend? Its not a state or county holiday on Friday, just in her specific school district.
IMO, mom is wrong. An in-service meeting is not a holiday.

Zigner

I ride the fence on that one. Its still a day off of school and not an accidental one like a snow day.
A "3-day weekend" is a holiday weekend. It's still a "3-day weekend" even if the kids don't have school on the Friday before.

LdiJ

A "3-day weekend" is a holiday weekend. It's still a "3-day weekend" even if the kids don't have school on the Friday before.
Assuming that they do not have different provisions for 4 day weekend...or if 4 day weekends are alternated in a different manner.

Zigner

Assuming that they do not have different provisions for 4 day weekend...or if 4 day weekends are alternated in a different manner.
No need to assume anything. If it were included, it would have been mentioned. In any case, this is NOT a 4-day weekend.

LdiJ

No need to assume anything. If it were included, it would have been mentioned. In any case, this is NOT a 4-day weekend.
Zig, he specifically stated that mom's argument was that it was a 4 day weekend. That would lead one to believe that there might be some other provision for 4 day weekends. You are also the only person I have ever seen that has insisted that an in service day tacked on to a weekend that would normally be a 3 day weekend, does not count as a 4 day weekend for the child. Its 4 days in a row off school.

If mom is just being a biotch about the whole thing that is one thing, but the OP has not been back to give any more detail.

blurcott

There is nothing in stip about 4 day weekends. I believe the "3 day weekend" expression should have been specified as MLK, Labor day. Etc. In the future I'll have to make that clear. If she was a mile down the road in a different school district this wouldn't be a problem

Zigner

Zig, he specifically stated that mom's argument was that it was a 4 day weekend. That would lead one to believe that there might be some other provision for 4 day weekends. You are also the only person I have ever seen that has insisted that an in service day tacked on to a weekend that would normally be a 3 day weekend, does not count as a 4 day weekend for the child. Its 4 days in a row off school.

If mom is just being a biotch about the whole thing that is one thing, but the OP has not been back to give any more detail.
It is NOT a holiday. An inservice day is simply NOT a holiday, no matter what day they choose to plan it for.

Tell me this - when your kids were in school and had an inservice day, did you get the day off because it was a holiday? I think not.

CJane

It is NOT a holiday. An inservice day is simply NOT a holiday, no matter what day they choose to plan it for.

Tell me this - when your kids were in school and had an inservice day, did you get the day off because it was a holiday? I think not.
But the stipulation doesn't specify "Holiday Weekends" or "3-day Weekends Associated with Federal Holidays". The stipulation simply says "3-day weekends". And if the child is off Friday and Monday, it's not a three day weekend. Interestingly, if the child is off on a Friday and NOT a Monday, it's still a 3 day weekend, and Dad would still get through Monday.

LdiJ

I have never gotten MLK day off, or presidents day or most of those Mondays the children get off from school. What does that have to do with anything?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
OP - what do the orders ACTUALLY say, word for word (i.e. not in your words) w/names removed? That would help. TY.

single317dad

This is petty bickering over semantics between the parties. When there is petty bickering over semantics, the parties should return to court for a detailed order which spells out, in detail, every possible issue they might bicker over.

Zigner

But the stipulation doesn't specify "Holiday Weekends" or "3-day Weekends Associated with Federal Holidays". The stipulation simply says "3-day weekends". And if the child is off Friday and Monday, it's not a three day weekend. Interestingly, if the child is off on a Friday and NOT a Monday, it's still a 3 day weekend, and Dad would still get through Monday.
Fair enuf point(s)

blurcott

The stip says specifically "3 day weekends"... I had considered if a Friday off makes it a 3 day but that doesn't pop up on her school calendar again that I know of. Unfortunatley I think this means back to court to cross I's and dot t's. Mom's an attorney so she loves to play the game.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">