• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

33yr old, can I sue my father for back child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shibbard2

I'm 33 years old. My biological father never paid child support for me. He also would not take a paternity test, when requested of him. Although he admits that i'm his verbally,he would not put it down on paper. He wouldn't pay my mother. I also couldn't be adopted by my "step-dad" because my bio dad wouldn't sign the papers. Can i sue him for back pay for college for myself and also for my mother and "step-father"?
We all live in washington state

D

dorenephilpot

My guess is that the statute of limitations in your case has long since tolled.

Sorry....

LegalBeagle

shibbard2 said:
I'm 33 years old. My biological father never paid child support for me. He also would not take a paternity test, when requested of him. Although he admits that i'm his verbally,he would not put it down on paper. He wouldn't pay my mother. I also couldn't be adopted by my "step-dad" because my bio dad wouldn't sign the papers. Can i sue him for back pay for college for myself and also for my mother and "step-father"?
We all live in washington state
15 years since. The SOL for establishing paternity in WA is the age of Majority which is 18. If your mother had established paternity and did have an existing court order then the SOL would have been good for 10 years.

I am surprised that your step father could not adopt you at some point since there was no registered father. However, there is nothing to stop your step father from adopting you now so that you can get a name on the fathers side of your b/c !

Ambr

okay, you can't sue for anything. the back support would be support owed to your mother. she would have to go after it.

also, if i read it right and biodad isn't on the bc, then paternity was never established? the statues for that is 18. if paternity wasn't established and an order was never issued - he doesn't owe mom a dime anyway.

if you are looking for a quick payday, not gonna happen.

Ambr

now you hear the sounds of my voice???

hhmmm....MSM scoot over, you may have to start sharing. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">