• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

911 Calls

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flyingduck

FLYING DUCK - ARIZONA
My daughter told me that she had to call 911 on her stepfather because he was chocking her mother. She told me that her mother told her she would be in trouble if she told me.

Are 911 calls public access? If no charges were filed is there any way of me finding out if this is true?

worried

flying duck

flyingduck said:
FLYING DUCK - ARIZONA
My daughter told me that she had to call 911 on her stepfather because he was chocking her mother. She told me that her mother told her she would be in trouble if she told me.

Are 911 calls public access? If no charges were filed is there any way of me finding out if this is true?

worried

flying duck

You bet they are. There were a grand total of 13 911 calls from my husband's ex's house in a 3 month period of time. My husband requested and received audio and transcribed versions of all 911 calls plus he got all the corrisponding police reports. It was VERY easy for my husband to get all the copies. And was very persuasive evidence in the custody hearing. My stepson's voice calling 911 on several of the calls.

StarsMoon

Yes they are. Go to the police department and explain to them what has happened. You can even get them certified for court purposes. My hubby and I had to do the same thing. And since all this had taken place in a different state, then the one we lived in, they told us we didn't have to wait the 24 hour period. In fact, when we told the lady why we needed papers, she came down to meet us personally. And, wished us good luck in our case.
Make sure you get them certified....
Good Luck,
Stars....:p

BelizeBreeze

flyingduck said:
FLYING DUCK - ARIZONA

worried

flying duck
O.K. now let's try to get a CORRECT answer.

Public access as opposed to Public Information is a BIG difference. 911 calls are NOT public Access. You cannot just enter a police station and ask to hear all of the 911 calls for that day.

Neither can you ask for a specific call.

On the other hand, if you have a pending legal interest in the information, you (or your attorney) can subpoena the specific call record. Also, if a FOIA is submitted it may or may not be granted. If not, you have the option of suing for access. In this case, you must show the court you have standing or a valid public interest in the call.

In any case, you have no legal standing to demand the call as you were not involved in the situation and have nothing to do with it. Also, if charges are being brought against one or the other party, the call is part and parcel of the ongoing investigation and only the defendant (through their attorney) can subpoena the call record.

BelizeBreeze said:
O.K. now let's try to get a CORRECT answer.

Public access as opposed to Public Information is a BIG difference. 911 calls are NOT public Access. You cannot just enter a police station and ask to hear all of the 911 calls for that day.

Neither can you ask for a specific call.

On the other hand, if you have a pending legal interest in the information, you (or your attorney) can subpoena the specific call record. Also, if a FOIA is submitted it may or may not be granted. If not, you have the option of suing for access. In this case, you must show the court you have standing or a valid public interest in the call.

In any case, you have no legal standing to demand the call as you were not involved in the situation and have nothing to do with it. Also, if charges are being brought against one or the other party, the call is part and parcel of the ongoing investigation and only the defendant (through their attorney) can subpoena the call record.
Not sure what you are talking about. My husband called the dispatchers office and requested a record of all 911 calls made from his ex-wife's house. The office told him over the phone that there were 13 calls on record. My husband asked for a copy of all 13. They sent them through the mail to my husband. After getting the call times and dates in the mail, he then called the police/sherriffs departments and requested police reports. They were sent.

Secondly, my husband's ex had several run ins with police out of her family's homes. They gave my husband copies of the police reports from the calls they had placed themselves. My husband then contacted 911 dispatchers and received transcripted and audio versions of the 911 calls placed by ex's family members.

NONE of these calls or police reports were subpoened. Not one. They were sent apon request. Period.

T

tntitangirl

keep your nose out of ex's business

mom6stepmom2 said:
Not sure what you are talking about. My husband called the dispatchers office and requested a record of all 911 calls made from his ex-wife's house. The office told him over the phone that there were 13 calls on record. My husband asked for a copy of all 13. They sent them through the mail to my husband. After getting the call times and dates in the mail, he then called the police/sherriffs departments and requested police reports. They were sent.

Secondly, my husband's ex had several run ins with police out of her family's homes. They gave my husband copies of the police reports from the calls they had placed themselves. My husband then contacted 911 dispatchers and received transcripted and audio versions of the 911 calls placed by ex's family members.

NONE of these calls or police reports were subpoened. Not one. They were sent apon request. Period.
doesnt matter. neither you or your husband are parties to this. it did not involve either one of you. its between his ex and her husband. my suggestion is that you and your husband mind your own business.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

mom6stepmom2 said:

And that dispatcher would have been fired had she been working for me or a competent department. The fact remains, 911 calls are NOT public access.

weenor

tntitangirl said:
doesnt matter. neither you or your husband are parties to this. it did not involve either one of you. its between his ex and her husband. my suggestion is that you and your husband mind your own business.

k-dar anyone????

tntitangirl said:
I beg to differ. Ex-wife and boyfriend can beat the living hell out of each other all day long if they like (and they seemed to like doing this a lot). But when they consistantly beat the hell out of each other in front of the kids, it became my husband's business. It was my husband's son making the 911 calls. One the boyfriend was choking his mom. In another, mom pushed boyfriend down the stairs. Or my favorite, mom pointing a 38 at the boyfriend and telling him she would kill him if he did go out and purchase her drugs for her asap. The list goes on and on. Placing a then 6 and 11 year old in the position of having to call the police because the only two adults in the house were beating, choking, slicing, pointing a 38 revolver, one another. Yes, that would be the children's father business. Those 911 calls were brought up in court and mom had to explain to the judge each and every one. Piss poor explainations that the judge didn't buy.

BelizeBreeze said:
And that dispatcher would have been fired had she been working for me or a competent department. The fact remains, 911 calls are NOT public access.
I don't know about any of that. The calls and police reports were from 3 different counties. My husband asked for them under the freedom of information act and all three counties complied with his requests. They sent out the reports and call copies with a bill for copies made. My husband then had to submit payment for the requested material.

BelizeBreeze

mom6stepmom2 said:
I don't know about any of that. The calls and police reports were from 3 different counties. My husband asked for them under the freedom of information act and all three counties complied with his requests. They sent out the reports and call copies with a bill for copies made. My husband then had to submit payment for the requested material.
LISTEN DAMNIT. Go read your first response to this thread and then MY response and you tell me why such crap as you posted only serves to confuse and give the poster false hope.

BelizeBreeze said:
LISTEN DAMNIT. Go read your first response to this thread and then MY response and you tell me why such crap as you posted only serves to confuse and give the poster false hope.
Look, I have no desire to engage in some arquement with you. I understand what you said. I have no idea what you do for a living. Based off what you wrote I would assume you work in some capacity in a court house. It sounds like you know the laws pertaining to your state (which, at this point I don't know what state that is either).

All I do know is what took place with my husband. He simply asked and recieved. It wouldn't hurt the OP to try. I never once said there were any guarantees with anything I wrote. My husband had an extremely easy time getting all copies. As far as the police reports, he spoke with the officers who responded to the calls personally before making the report requests. Which, it seems to me, would maybe make it a little easier to get copies in some states.

But, as you stated, if he needs a subpoena to get the copies, he now knows (thanks to your expertise) how to go about getting the copies.

cimmaryn

maybe...

**not a lawyer** but I do work with children and families.

If your child is a witness to domestic violence in the home, you can and should make a report to the local department of child and family services. Technically, I think the police department is supposed to do this if children witnessed the event, but I know in our county they are sometimes lax about this.

DV is very damaging for children, and needs to be dealt with -- I would also suggest counseling. However, the child would need to have witnessed this event (in your case, it sounds like they did). It also helps if there are physical marks on the victim (more evidence). DFCS should be able to pull the police report, if any was made.

In case anyone asks, DV IS considered child abuse (at least in my state).
Cimmaryn

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">