• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandonment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

diamondlil40

What is the name of your state? Utah
My boyfriend and I live together and he has a 27 month old daughter. I have been in her life for the last 15 months and she calls me mommie. Her bio-mother has not had any contact with her or my boyfriend for about 2 yrs. Now she wants to just come anytime and she the baby. This girl also has 3 other daughters who she only sees on occasion. She will go months with no contact with them then just show up and make all kinds of promises she never upholds too. Now she she says she will go into court and get custody back after she voluntarily sign her over to my boyfriend. Is it possible to have her parental rights taken and how could we do this? We do not want the baby to go through what her sisters have.

BelizeBreeze

Here we go again.

First, is there a current custody order from the court?

Has the boyfriend been determined by a court to be the father through dna or a voluntary acknowledgement of paternity?

that's where HE starts. You are not involved in this.

D

diamondlil40

Yes he has the custody papers. As I said the mother signed over custody to him and then dissappeared. I don't know about the paternity because he basically took the baby after she was delivered and he is on the certificate. And I know legaly I am not involved, but I am involved in the babie life and concerned that there could be a chance we could loose her. Besides I am doing this for him, not myself. He would die if he lost her. Ecspecially to a irresponsible, druggie, mental case as she is. All because she gave birth. What WE would like to find out is how to proceed to take her rights away or if WE can?

BelizeBreeze

First of all, leave the crap out of your post about namecalling. I don't care if she's an axe murderer who has group sex outside of the Louvre.

Now, does your boyfriend have a COURT ISSUED Custody Order or not?

You did not answer that question, only the fact that the mother signed over custody, which is false. Neither parent can sign over any rights to the child. ONLY a court can do that.

What WE would like to find out is how to proceed to take her rights away or if WE can?
And the answer to that is WE can't. Only a court can. And you have stated nothing here to show a case for such.

L

Lil Miss Smarty Panties

Grounds for terminating parental rights:

Abandonment or Extreme Parental Disinterest
Abuse/Neglect
Mental Illness or Deficiency
Alcohol- or Drug-induced Incapacity
Felony Conviction/ Incarceration
Failure of Reasonable Efforts
Sexual Abuse
Abuse/Neglect or Loss of Rights of Another Child
Failure to Maintain Contact
Failure to Provide Support
Child Judged in Need of Services/Dependent
Child's Best Interest
Felony assault of child or sibling
Murder/Manslaughter of sibling child

Other Grounds
• Voluntary relinquishment
• A history of violent behavior
• Location of parent(s) unknown

State Statute: UTAH §§ 78-3a-311(2)-(4) 78-3a-402(2) 78-3a-403(2) 78-3a-407 78-3a-408

D

diamondlil40

Yes he does have a Court Issues court order. I meant that she signed the papers giving him custody with dispute and the judge signed it. She has been in and out of jail for domestic voilence and non-support of her other 3 child. He decided not to push the issue of support with mother until she was straightened out. She does not stay in her childrens lives, she shows up for a day or two and disappears for monthes. She does not provide anything but threats to the fathers. (There are 3). What type of things need to be presents to terminate her rights?

BelizeBreeze

Well, there you go. You have the exact statute below to look at and realize that your boyfriend (not you) has no chance based on the facts presented here, to terminate anyone's rights.

D

diamondlil40

Thank you Lil Miss Smarty Panties. I will look into this.

Lil Miss Smarty Panties said:
Grounds for terminating parental rights:

Abandonment or Extreme Parental Disinterest
Abuse/Neglect
Mental Illness or Deficiency
Alcohol- or Drug-induced Incapacity
Felony Conviction/ Incarceration
Failure of Reasonable Efforts
Sexual Abuse
Abuse/Neglect or Loss of Rights of Another Child
Failure to Maintain Contact
Failure to Provide Support
Child Judged in Need of Services/Dependent
Child's Best Interest
Felony assault of child or sibling
Murder/Manslaughter of sibling child

Other Grounds
• Voluntary relinquishment
• A history of violent behavior
• Location of parent(s) unknown

State Statute: UTAH §§ 78-3a-311(2)-(4) 78-3a-402(2) 78-3a-403(2) 78-3a-407 78-3a-408
"Well, there you go. You have the exact statute below to look at and realize that your boyfriend (not you) has no chance based on the facts presented here, to terminate anyone's rights."

Belize, if you would read the above, those are the grounds for terminating parental rights....
DiamondLil- good for you to try and help out your fiance. Whether anyone likes it or not, when you divorce, either you or your ex is going to move on and be involved in a relationship with someone else. If that other person cares about the child or children involved, they will try to help in any way they can. Accept it and move on, right??

D

diamondlil40

In the list that I was just given I see several that could be used. You may not know this because I have only recap over the whole scenrio of the situation. I will look into it, but if you don't like answering queations about these isues even if it is over and over again, why do you answer? I looked through the
Q & A list for awhile, but there are too many to find exactly what I wanted to know. That is why I came here, why do you? Next, I have a vested interest in the baby as well, so yes I will do anything for my boyfriend to help him out. I KNOW I don't have any legal right, so you do not need to empasize on that. But even through your writing you sound like a very angry person.
Good day to you

BelizeBreeze

Belize, if you would read the above, those are the grounds for terminating parental rights....
Really? Well golly gee. Pardon the hell out of me.

I suppose this question FROM THE POSTER (Is it possible to have her parental rights taken and how could we do this?) has nothing to do with terminating parental rights or LMSP's response.

D

diamondlil40

Thanks to you too Caligirl. If I did care or try to help what would that say about me. And I love this baby as I do my own children.

D

diamondlil40

If has nothing to do with terminating parental rights why does the read "Grounds For Terminating Parental Rights". The first line of that says enough to me. Or maybe Failure to Maintain Contact. he had every chance in the world to be part of the babies life with no strings attached. Nothing, only to be here for her daughter and her drugs were more important.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">