• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

abandonment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alexis.smith

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Hello, I am a single mom working hard to try and file abandonment against my daughter's biological daughter. Monster recently I was informed (by someone who did the same thing) that I had to go six months of him having no contact with her via letters, phone calls or face to face contact. Can I please have someone confirm all this? I am in Pennsylvania if that helps.

Thanks!

Back story.

After 6 months of raising a child together, her dad left the house we have always lived in (my parents) to move back in with his mom. At first I agreed to travel there a few weekends a month to take her to see them, but after a while I was costly for me.
I then told him that to see her we must either meet halfway or he can come the whole way to my house to see her. This pissed him off and he threatened me with taking me to court for custody.
I stodo my ground and he has since seen her three or four times in the last year. Once in the last 5 months. He texts me once every week or two asking how she is, but never asks to see her.
For the record, he left us to move out of the house we have always live in. He has never paid child support and does not give me anything (clothes, shoes, etc) to help care for her.

Please let me know if I need to clarify anything. Thanks!

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Hello, I am a single mom working hard to try and file abandonment against my daughter's biological daughter. Monster recently I was informed (by someone who did the same thing) that I had to go six months of him having no contact with her via letters, phone calls or face to face contact. Can I please have someone confirm all this? I am in Pennsylvania if that helps.

Thanks!

Back story.

After 6 months of raising a child together, her dad left the house we have always lived in (my parents) to move back in with his mom. At first I agreed to travel there a few weekends a month to take her to see them, but after a while I was costly for me.
I then told him that to see her we must either meet halfway or he can come the whole way to my house to see her. This pissed him off and he threatened me with taking me to court for custody.
I stodo my ground and he has since seen her three or four times in the last year. Once in the last 5 months. He texts me once every week or two asking how she is, but never asks to see her.
For the record, he left us to move out of the house we have always live in. He has never paid child support and does not give me anything (clothes, shoes, etc) to help care for her.

What are you trying to accomplish?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Thanks!

Back story.

Is he legally Dad? Did he sign any paperwork at the hospital in front of a notary? Has a court declared him Dad? If not, then he is not legally Dad, he's not obligated to pay CS and he can't be dinged (or punished) for abandonment, because he legally has no child to be abandoned.

Proserpina

Best Halloween autocowreck ever.

Hello, I am a single mom working hard to try and file abandonment against my daughter's biological daughter. Monster recently I was informed (by someone who did the same thing) that I had to go six months of him having no contact with her via letters, phone calls or face to face contact. Can I please have someone confirm all this? I am in Pennsylvania if that helps

alexis.smith

What are you trying to accomplish?
I am trying to terminate his rights. He has no involvement in her life and comes around just before I hit the 6 month mark every time so I can't file abandonment and terminate his rights.
I know I'll probably be bashed, but he honestly wants nothing to do with her and just keeps coming around to make my life miserable. (He has said this to his mom, who then told me, but I do not have it written down)

alexis.smith

Is he legally Dad? Did he sign any paperwork at the hospital in front of a notary? Has a court declared him Dad? If not, then he is not legally Dad, he's not obligated to pay CS and he can't be dinged (or punished) for abandonment, because he legally has no child to be abandoned.
He legally is her dad. His name is on her birh certificate. If I hadn't put his name on her birth certificate, I know he wouldn't have any rights to her and I wouldn't be in this mess

Just Blue

He legally is her dad. His name is on her birh certificate. If I hadn't put his name on her birth certificate, I know he wouldn't have any rights to her and I wouldn't be in this mess
Huh? Yes he would have had rights.
he would have had the right to establish paternity.

To clarify:

The Father is listed on the childs BC...RIGHT?
AS the FATHER...I am not talking just that you named your child his last name.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I am trying to terminate his rights. He has no involvement in her life and comes around just before I hit the 6 month mark every time so I can't file abandonment and terminate his rights.
I know I'll probably be bashed, but he honestly wants nothing to do with her and just keeps coming around to make my life miserable. (He has said this to his mom, who then told me, but I do not have it written down)
Not going to happen just because you want it to happen. :cool:

You would need to be married for a while, and your husband would have to want to adopt Child for the State to even consider terminating Dad's rights. The State would not terminate Dad's rights without his consent.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
YOU can NOT terminate his rights UNLESS you are married and your husband wants to adopt.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You couldn't have put his name on her birth certificate unless you were married to each other or you both signed an Affidavit of Paternity.

alexis.smith

Not going to happen just because you want it to happen. :cool:

You would need to be married for a while, and your husband would have to want to adopt Child for the State to even consider terminating Dad's rights. The State would not terminate Dad's rights without his consent.
I am engaged and my fiance wants to adopt my daughter. He's always thought of her as his child.

alexis.smith

Huh? Yes he would have had rights.
he would have had the right to establish paternity.

To clarify:

The Father is listed on the childs BC...RIGHT?
AS the FATHER...I am not talking just that you named your child his last name.
I understand he would've had rights had I not put his name on the birth certificate, but he would not pay to get a paternity test done to establish paternity. So that's what I mean by not being in this mess.
And yes he is listed as her father on her birth certificate. I am not stupid.

And btw, she DOES NOT have his last name. She has my last name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">