• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

abusive husband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

memysue

I want to move to another state and raise my 4 children. I am scared of my husband and now he says he wants to hire a lawyer and take my kids. Can i move and upon arrival contact local law enforcement and tell them I am afraid of him. what are my options ?

Proserpina

I want to move to another state and raise my 4 children. I am scared of my husband and now he says he wants to hire a lawyer and take my kids. Can i move and upon arrival contact local law enforcement and tell them I am afraid of him. what are my options ?

(This assumes you are in the US)

You generally cannot relocate the children out of state without permission from either Dad or the courts.

Please tell us your state, and what your husband has done to make you so afraid.

acmb05

Domestic violence shelter.

mistoffolees

(This assumes you are in the US)

You generally cannot relocate the children out of state without permission from either Dad or the courts.

Please tell us your state, and what your husband has done to make you so afraid.
Just to be clear, assuming that she has custodial rights, she CAN relocate out of state. However, her husband can go to court and get an order for them to be returned.

Her options are:

1. As someone suggested - domestic violence shelter.
2. If he has actually hit anyone, get a restraining order.
3. File for divorce and ask for custody of the kids and permission to leave the state.
4. Do nothing (not that I recommend it, but just to be thorough).

However, 'I am scared of my husband' is not grounds for a protection order or custody of the kids. She's going to have to be a LOT more specific - and have evidence to back it up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">