• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abusive mother has custody of child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arhoglen

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan

My parents divorced when I was 18, and my younger sister was 15. I already lived on my own, but she was subject to the custody battle. Currently my sister is 17, lives with our father, and sees our mother every-other weekend, every monday & wednesday, along with alternating holidays. The problem is such: our mother is both physically and emotionally abusive. We have fought it in court, but somehow she has always managed to weasle out of any accusations. (Her lawyer, as much as i dislike what he is doing, is very good at getting our claims thrown out.) She cannot become emancipated because she doesn't earn enough money to support herself. I heard of something in michigan called a 'legal runaway' whereas a child over 16 could excape such abusive situations. Our father has stated that he woudl support her if she chose to do this, because it hurts the entire family to see her being abused. Is such a thing true? How can I help her escape the abuse?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">