• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abusive wife recieving custody.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fallingsky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

My wife and i separated 4 months ago. I am a 25 year old single dad. Since then i have had my two sons 4 days out of the week, every week. 2 months ago, my ex violated my protection order twice. my sons were in my care full time, them not seeing her at all, for fear of domestic violence in which during this time she was being evicted from her home and i had no means by which to contact her and her not having a stable home. division of child support ruled i was the custodial parent seeing as i have had majority of the time with my sons. She has a history of dui, domestic violence against me and a restraining order and violation of protection order. two weeks ago, i filed for divorce with my temporary parenting plan giving me physical custody. However when we went to the hearing before the judge, he ruled that her parenting plan was what he wanted, giving her majority custody and me only able to see my sons two weekends out of the month. my criminal record is clean with only one traffic ticket. we both went to the hearing pro-se. during both hearings prior to the ruling, she did not show up to contest the restraining order or protection order. during my time with my sons, they never once said mommy. the judge ordered that i bring my sons to her the same day. while giving them over to her, both my sons clung to me and screamed dadda! when she took them. she sees them only 4 hours a night while the baby sitter takes them all day everyday, even on her days off. How can a judge rule in her favor? What did i do wrong?

fallingsky

Why did you not have a lawyer?
At the time, we had come to an agreement, that it was in the best interest of our sons that they reside with me.
At the hearing however, she had a proposed parenting plan that she did not file. the judge let her file in the middle of
court. money is tight and i am in the process of finding a lawyer. But even if i do get a lawyer for an appeal, is there even
a chance the judge will overturn it?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
At the time, we had come to an agreement, that it was in the best interest of our sons that they reside with me.
At the hearing however, she had a proposed parenting plan that she did not file. the judge let her file in the middle of
court. money is tight and i am in the process of finding a lawyer. But even if i do get a lawyer for an appeal, is there even
What was the material mistake in how the law was applied? You can't appeal because you don't like the outcome. That's not what an appeal is for. :cool:

Proserpina

But this was simply the first hearing, to deal with the temporary custody situation correct?

When is the next hearing?

And, what was the parenting time before you separated? How many hours were you both working?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">