• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult child suing father for unpaid child supprt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Eagal

Michigan

I am thirty two and am hoping to sue my father for unpaid child support that he owes from my own childhood.

Has anyone ever heard of such a case?

tigger22472

No, because they don't exsist. CS is paid to the CP and that is for the CP to take on. If there was never a support order it's too late. If there is the CP needs to check into what the SOL is in their state before pursuing... however in the end it is the other parents money and not yours.

VeronicaGia

MI has a 10 year statute of limitations based upon when the last support payment was due. Since MI emancipation is 18 and graduated or no later than age 19-1/2, you would have at the very most turned 29-1/2 when the statute ran out. So even if your mother had a support order, she could no longer collect.

Once again, it is her money, not yours.

http://ocse3.acf.dhhs.gov/ext/irg/sps/selectastate.cfm

click on MI for more info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">