• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adultery - and Child Custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sad1

What is the name of your state? TX - well I have just found out my wife has been cheating on me...I took her to her moms house and I have kept our 2 babies...she wants to keep one and let me keep the other....I do physical and speech therapy with one of them twice a week...she hasn’t called or anything since she left...5 days now...what are the odds of me getting both babies considering the adultery...and she has no job or a place of her own right now...thanks

snostar

Adultery does not usually play a part in custody determinations. If she cannot provide shelter, food, and the basic needs for the children, then that would be a consideration. Just the fact that "she has no job or a place of her own right now" may not make a difference.

rmet4nzkx

Adultery may be grounds for divorce in Texas but not considered in determining child custody per se, I am including information regarding child custody statutes as these may give you a better idea how to proceed. It is important to establish your role in their care, such as therapy. It is also important to establish custody as soon as possible so you should cosult with an attorney.
Here are some related itens:
Texas Child Custody Laws

Texas child custody is determined based upon the best interests of the child. The factors to be considered by a Texas Court in determining the terms and conditions for possession of a child by the possessory conservator (parent with visitation) are as follows:

* the age, circumstances, needs, and best interests of the child;
* the circumstances of the parents;
* evidence of any spouse or child abuse; and
* any other relevant factor.

The factors specified in the Texas statute for consideration in decisions regarding joint managing conservatorship are:

* whether the physical, psychological, or emotional needs and development of the child will benefit;
* the ability of the parents to give first priority to the welfare of the child and reach shared decisions in the child's best interests;
* whether each parent can encourage and accept a positive relationship between the child and the other parent;
* whether both parents participated in child rearing before the filing of the suit;
* the geographical proximity of the homes of the parents;
* if the child is 14 years old or older, the preference of the child; and

There are standard terms for a Texas court's order on a child's conservatorship set out in the statute that are presumed to be the minimum allowable time that the parent who is not awarded the primary physical residence of the child is to have the child.

The court may not award joint managing conservatorship is there is any credible evidence of spousal or child abuse or neglect. The court will award joint managing conservatorship based on an agreement between the parents if the agreement:

* establishes the county of residence of the child;
* states the rights and duties of each parent regarding the child's present and future care, support, and education;
* includes provisions to minimize disruption of the child's schooling, daily routine and association with friends;
* was entered into voluntarily and knowingly; and
* is in the best interests of the child.

Texas Child Support Laws

Texas child support is based upon guidelines that are presumed to be reasonable and in the best interests of the child. In determining Texas child support pursuant to the guidelines, the Court will also consider the following factors:

* the age and needs of the child;
* the ability of the parents to contribute to the support of the child;
* any financial resources available for the support of the child;
* the amount of possession and access to the child;
* the net resources of the parent to pay support, including the earning potential of the parent to pay support if the actual income is that parent is significantly less than what that parent could earn, if intentionally unemployed or underemployed;
* any child care expenses necessary for the employment of either parent;
* whether a parent has custody of another child and any child support expenses being paid or received for the care of another child;
* the amount of alimony being currently paid or received;
* provisions for health care;
* any special educational or health care needs of the child;
* any benefits a parent receives from an employer;
* any debts or obligations of a parent;
* any wage or salary deductions of the parents;
* the cost of traveling to visit the child;
* any positive or negative cash flow from any assets, including a business or investments;
* any provisions for health care or insurance;
* any special or extraordinary educational, health care, or other expenses of the parents or the child; and

Texas Divorce Laws

Texas Divorce Residency Requirements

To file for a Texas divorce, one of the parties must have resided in Texas for 6 months prior to filing for divorce and must have resided in the county where the divorce is filed for 90 days prior to filing.

Texas Divorce Grounds

The grounds for a Texas divorce are:

* the marriage has become insupportable because of discord or conflict of personalities that has destroyed the legitimate ends of the marriage relationship and prevents any reasonable expectation of reconciliation;
* living separate and apart without cohabitation for 3 years;
* adultery;
* abandonment;
* confinement for incurable insanity for 3 years; and
* conviction of a felony and imprisonment for over 1 year.

S

sad1

ok

thanks for the replys...i have another question...is it possible for my wife to keep a child and me keep one? since i have been doing the theropy? also she left friday and i haven't heard back one time yet from her...i have the babies now... also she had a child from someone else before we met but she is letting the father raise him...she gave him custody. don't know if any of that matters... iam just really emotional sorry :(

rmet4nzkx

Check with an attorney ASAP to perserve your custody rights and to keep the children together if at all possible, while she may not have contacted you, she may also be busy tryng to get custody, so you better file for custody right away before someone appears at your door fo rthe children. She won't tell the judge the same things you are telling us.

VeronicaGia

sad1 said:
thanks for the replys...i have another question...is it possible for my wife to keep a child and me keep one? since i have been doing the theropy? also she left friday and i haven't heard back one time yet from her...i have the babies now... also she had a child from someone else before we met but she is letting the father raise him...she gave him custody. don't know if any of that matters... iam just really emotional sorry :(
File for custody of both children now!

stealth2 said:
Being a lousy spouse != being a lousy parent.

Hear Hear!!! I agree to that! Would you tell my ex husband that??? :rolleyes: He cheated on me SEVERAL times, yet I am the unstable one! Hmmm, who has primary physical custody?? Certainly not him!!

ili

Dads often do get custody

I know of dads who have gotten custody. Judges look at it differently then they used to and laws have been updated. The adultery part can be a major
deciding factor. She may not be interested in keeping either of them when
she learns how much they cramp her style. Good luck.

T

tigger2two

ili said:
The adultery part can be a major
deciding factor. .
NO it can't!! No it isn't. It has nothing to do with her children in a legal sense. Parents aren't even allowed to use spousal abuse(in most cases) unless the kids are directly involved.

Don't give this man false hope.

snostar

caligirl73 said:
Hear Hear!!! I agree to that! Would you tell my ex husband that??? :rolleyes: He cheated on me SEVERAL times, yet I am the unstable one! Hmmm, who has primary physical custody?? Certainly not him!!
!= means not equal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">