• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adultery and custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dr.mom

Does proof of adultery come into play in NY when deciding on amount of child support or child custody?
My married boyfriend is a fantastic father, except for having this affair, whereas his wife has a very heavy hand, has never, ever hugged or kissed their beautiful kids and comes from an abusive/unstable family. She was taught to marry for money and now wants all of his.
They are just getting into it legally, after trying mediation, and her lawyer has already subpoened my ex-husband - who has tried to tell her not to make a scandal! Does proof of our affair really jeopardize his custody rights? And/or cause him to owe her more in custody and/or spousal maintenance? If not, why else would she subpoena him? She has other proof (emails) of our affair which I'll die if she goes thru with publicizing...but thats a different question. My primary question stands above.
He must choose between keeping it out of court, which would mean greatly overpaying in terms of child support and alimony, and keeping joint custody (riddled with ongoing conflict probably) OR going to court, no doubt our affair being publicized (which will be unhealthy for both of our kids, let alone us), paying her less all around, and having only one of them awarded full custody. Its a big mess!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">