• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age child can decide to live with other parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

onebreath

Your right, it is an old thread, silly us. I just think there are exceptions and some not "normal" situations, and I do not believe in a blanket 16 or 18 year old cut off based on my experience with lots of folks...in the normal legal world there are exceptions. Thanks.

VeronicaLodge

basically the child never gets to choose, period. now in certain states and at certain ages, the judges will listen to what the child wishes and all the other circumstances and may order exactly what the child wanted and it may then appear that the child "chose" but they didnt. the judge just listened to them and then ruled. that is where your "exceptions" come in. however, the child never just gets to unilaterally decide until they are no longer a minor and as an adult can decide whatever they want to do

onebreath

your absolutely right, thank you for clearing that up for me! It is easy to presume that because a judge might hear a child, then the child has power, but no, it is still up to the judges discretion...thank you so much.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
basically the child never gets to choose, period. now in certain states and at certain ages, the judges will listen to what the child wishes and all the other circumstances and may order exactly what the child wanted and it may then appear that the child "chose" but they didnt. the judge just listened to them and then ruled. that is where your "exceptions" come in. however, the child never just gets to unilaterally decide until they are no longer a minor and as an adult can decide whatever they want to do
Veronica you are incorrect. In one state the child gets to choose at a certain age under 18.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">