• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

age in INDIANA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

capyou

what is the legal age that children can decide for theirself if and when they want to visit the noncustodial parent in the state of Indiana. can child emancipate theirself? how? when?

[Edited by capyou on 06-21-2001 at 04:39 PM]

D

dorenephilpot

The age at which a child will be listened to by the court is 14. The child doesn't make the decisions, of course, but what the child says is given weight at that age.

However, unless you have a child abuser/loser parent, you really should try to forge some kind of relationship with your non-custodial parent.

Otherwise, you're always going to have that unresolved issue hanging over your head the rest of your life.

And the Indiana Parenting Time Guidelines require the custodial parent to make every effort possible to make the child go see the NCP.

So, you'll make it easier on BOTH your parents if you willingly.

T

TickledPink

When you say make the child go see the NCP, do you mean that if the NCP moves to another state, I have to go out of my way to make sure my child sees them?

D

dorenephilpot

Not necessarily.

What I mean is that if the child balks at going, you have to do everything in your power to make the child go anyway.

That doesn't mean you have to provide transportation (depending on what the court ordered as to that), but it does mean that you can't be telling the child, "If you don't want to go, you don't have to."

Make sense?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">