+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: age in INDIANA

  1. #1
    capyou Guest
    what is the legal age that children can decide for theirself if and when they want to visit the noncustodial parent in the state of Indiana. can child emancipate theirself? how? when?

    [Edited by capyou on 06-21-2001 at 04:39 PM]

  2. #2
    dorenephilpot Guest
    The age at which a child will be listened to by the court is 14. The child doesn't make the decisions, of course, but what the child says is given weight at that age.

    However, unless you have a child abuser/loser parent, you really should try to forge some kind of relationship with your non-custodial parent.

    Otherwise, you're always going to have that unresolved issue hanging over your head the rest of your life.

    And the Indiana Parenting Time Guidelines require the custodial parent to make every effort possible to make the child go see the NCP.

    So, you'll make it easier on BOTH your parents if you willingly.

  3. #3
    TickledPink Guest
    When you say make the child go see the NCP, do you mean that if the NCP moves to another state, I have to go out of my way to make sure my child sees them?

  4. #4
    dorenephilpot Guest
    Not necessarily.

    What I mean is that if the child balks at going, you have to do everything in your power to make the child go anyway.

    That doesn't mean you have to provide transportation (depending on what the court ordered as to that), but it does mean that you can't be telling the child, "If you don't want to go, you don't have to."

    Make sense?

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. POD- Indiana Law
    By johnlf in forum Probate and Personal Representatives
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-24-2008, 03:48 PM
  2. Indiana
    By Depressed43 in forum Consumer Bankruptcy
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-14-2003, 02:49 PM
  3. Indiana Law ??
    By Sbrown2001 in forum Marriage, Domestic Partnerships and Other Family Law Matters
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-21-2001, 04:47 PM
    By aw1976a in forum Family Law Archive
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-07-2000, 12:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.