• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age of majority

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lynn Goodwin

California -

I have received an order to show cause from my ex because our daughter turned 18 in October and he wants to cease child support. His income is appx. $54K a year. I was unemployed for 9 months before finally taking a position I have been at for 6 months. I am currently on track to earn only about $20K this year (substantially lower than my previous employment).

My daughter shall continue to live with me since she works only part-time and her income is at best $4 - $5K annually. I don't see how it's possible that we'll be able to make ends meet, let alone ever send her to college.

Does California provide for child support beyond age of minority?

Thank you.

Whyte Noise

From the California CS guidelines....

"Termination of support at 18, or if child is in high school, then until child graduates from high school or turns 19, whichever is first. No statute or case law holding parents to a duty to college support in the absence of an agreement."

So, I doubt that support will continue. Unless your daughter is still in high school, support should terminate when she turns 18. And he's not obligated by any statute to keep paying support while she is in college, or to pay for her college expenses. There are plenty of student loan and grant programs available to students. (Pell Grant, Stafford Loans, etc.)

L

Lynn Goodwin

Thanks for the quick response. I thought that would be the answer but felt I should at least ask. My daughter has not graduated high school yet but is currently attending continuation school. Do you think she is considered a full time student under those circumstances? (She attends 3 hours a day for 5 days a week and would receive a diploma upon graduating). Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">