• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alabama Custody Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LissaInAL

What is the name of your state? AL

I share joint legal and physical custody of my two minor children. Their dad has been activated in the military. He is demanding that I allow his mother and/or sister be allowed to have his scheduled custody times while he is overseas for 18 months. Are there laws that will allow him to force me to do this? Do grandparents have the rights to take the parents allowed visitation? What can I do to prevent this from happening? I have agreed to allow the children (9 and 12) to see their paternal grandmother and paternal aunt on weekends and other times that I agree to in the future.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

LissaInAL said:
What is the name of your state? AL

I share joint legal and physical custody of my two minor children. Their dad has been activated in the military. He is demanding that I allow his mother and/or sister be allowed to have his scheduled custody times while he is overseas for 18 months. Are there laws that will allow him to force me to do this? Do grandparents have the rights to take the parents allowed visitation? What can I do to prevent this from happening? I have agreed to allow the children (9 and 12) to see their paternal grandmother and paternal aunt on weekends and other times that I agree to in the future.

My response:

He can "demand" all he wants; because that, and a dime, won't buy him a cup of coffee. You could even place a "promise" in writing, but that's worthless and unenforceable in court. A court order is required.

If they want to try for "Grandparent" or "Third-party" visitation rights, let them spend the money to obtain a court order (which they won't get, anyway) - - but that's besides the point.

Just "yes" him to death, and then when he's gone, you can tell anyone you want to just go "piss off".

As the parent, you have the final word - - unless there's a court order to the contrary.

IAAL

Last edited:
L

LissaInAL

Thank you

to : I AM ALWAYS LIABLE: Thank you for your response. Eased my mind a little bit! Thank you, Lissa

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">