• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Amendment to custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

Valeska

I am living in the stat of Maryland.
about 5 years ago my husband sole custody of our son because of some not so good curcumstances i was in. About three years ago He sent our son to live with me and my new husband but still mainained sole custody of our son. Over the pase three years he has made continual threats to just come and take our son without even tellin me unless i agree to do exactlyl what he says. He is a retired marine and does very well for himself (i am glad for him and his new wife) but he refuses to offer any support for our now 11yr old son. Our son feel like his father doesent really care about him.
I have asked to have the custory agreement admended to show joint custody, but he refuses, saying he can do what ever he wants and that he will never help me with our son. He says that he wants life to be hard on me for and our son. . What can i do. I havent had the money to get a lawyer
Not sure where to start. He rearely calls and He hasent seen nis son since he has been with us. Is there anything that the state can do to help me. Because as long as my X thinks that it is he that he is fighting and my family and that he is controling ou life in any way, he will never give up.

Please Advise.....Taia.....(Catch 22 :confused: )

D

deefran

If you have proof of having your son for 3 years, (school records, medical record, etc..) You can take that to court and file for an amendment to the original agreement, once custody has been officially given to you, and more than likely it will as judges do not like to change a child's circumstances, then you can get your ex for child support. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations and payment plans, YOU NEED TO DO THIS ASAP...because your ex can just come and take him when he feels like it...also if you were ordered to pay to support your son back when your ex was given custody, you may be liable for any arrears that have accrued...get to a lawyer soon, you can't afford no to.

J

julhurt

We are in the midst of doing this right now, we have had my SS for a year and have letters from the teachers and a psychiatrist showing how much better off he is. The attorney we hired seems to think there won't be a problem. We are asking for child support, med and Dental and a few other things. She doesn't know we are doing this and will get served on Tuesday. Good Luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">