• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

appeal coming up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

deedrop

I have an appeal date coming up soon. My lawyer says that we are appealing because during the first hearing for a request to move, the commissioner placed the burdon of proof on me as to prove the move to be in the best interest of the child. The state statutes (WI) clearly state that the burdon is on the person contesting the move. He also claimed that my move was unreasonable, (it was for a much better job opportunity, and becasue my fiance' had to move for school) and said that it "would be different if were married and my husband needed to move for a better job." The implication being that because I am a woman, my career goals are not meritful reasons for moving. My lawyer seems to think we will win no problem. I was wondering if appeal case like this do win? I have faithfully followed the advice of my lawyer and he tells me that the commissioner should not have placed the burdon on me. I don't understand, if that is the case, and I too have read the WI state statutes, then how COULD he? What am I missing? Do commissioners and judges make their own interrpretations? What are my chances that the new judge will overturn what the commissioner said?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">