• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Asking for Child Support 6 years later without father knowing about child...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mykidsmom2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi... My Fiance just received court documents (after not being with the "mother" for over 6 years now) saying that he is the father of a child that he didn't know he was the father of and that he now owes child support. - A little history... about 6 years ago or so the "mother" told my fiance that she was pregnant but didn't know whos kid it was (she had slept around a bit). So my fiance at that time took a paternity test and the mother was told to do the same but she never showed up to take the test. Now 6+ years later she has taken the test and the paperwork claims that it is 99.99% sure the child is his daughter. Is this possible? Also If it is possible... does he have any rights as the father? Can he have any sort of custody? Especially if he is being asked to pay this "mother" any kind of support? ANY AND ALL ADVISE IS TOTALLY WELCOMED... We really are not sure what to do with this information... PLEASE HELP US!!!! :confused::(:eek:

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Hi... My Fiance just received court documents (after not being with the "mother" for over 6 years now) saying that he is the father of a child that he didn't know he was the father of and that he now owes child support. - A little history... about 6 years ago or so the "mother" told my fiance that she was pregnant but didn't know whos kid it was (she had slept around a bit). So my fiance at that time took a paternity test and the mother was told to do the same but she never showed up to take the test. Now 6+ years later she has taken the test and the paperwork claims that it is 99.99% sure the child is his daughter. Is this possible? Also If it is possible... does he have any rights as the father? Can he have any sort of custody? Especially if he is being asked to pay this "mother" any kind of support? ANY AND ALL ADVISE IS TOTALLY WELCOMED... We really are not sure what to do with this information... PLEASE HELP US!!!! :confused::(:eek:
Take the word MOTHER out of quotes. She is the child's mother. YOU are nothing to this situation. You are rude and disrespectful however. Your lover/bedmate/paramour has a right to seek custody and visitation. That still gives you NO rights. It is sad that he didn't force the issue six years ago because then maybe he could have been a father for six years. And by the way HE knew about the child. He knew the child existed or he would not have started taking a paternity test. He could be forced to pay child support for the last six years.

Proserpina

I have no idea whether you're aware of this or not, but this is how your post can very easily be read:

"My fiance had a kid. Now the kid's mom wants child support. My fiance thinks if he has to pay support he should at least have some custody rights or something. He doesn't want to pay for a kid he can't see. And I don't want some kid or the kid's Mom being a higher priority than me!"

To answer your question though, yes, Dad has rights. However he can't exercise those rights until they've been established in a court of law. Time for Dad to man up and take responsibility for his actions. Which will hopefully include gently coaxing his current partner to show a little respect for this child and the child's Mother.

janemc

Not Legal advice personal experience, but step daughter was 8 when paternity was established. Your husband need to man up and pay his support and file for visitation. He should make every effort to establish a relationship with this child. This is his child no matter what. You also need to be supportive of his relationship with his child. But he need to file for his right as a father. The Best interest of the Child should always come first.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
the "mother" told my fiance that she was pregnant but didn't know whos kid it was...So my fiance at that time took a paternity test and the mother was told to do the same
Hold on a sec. Maybe your fingers got away from you and you didn't type this the way you meant it, but are you specifically saying when she was pregnant he took a paternity test...and Mom was supposed to, too? Or did he take the test after the child was born and Mom was supposed to also present the child for testing?

michael18917

I understand completely...

People on here are being a little harsh. I completely understand your fear, frustration and surprise by this. A similar thing has just popped up in my life. Best advice I can give is get a lawyer.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
People on here are being a little harsh. I completely understand your fear, frustration and surprise by this. A similar thing has just popped up in my life. Best advice I can give is get a lawyer.
Since the OP was FOUR YEARS AGO, I'm willing to bet that the problem has been sorted.

This forum prefers that you NOT necropost. :cool:

Since the OP was FOUR YEARS AGO, I'm willing to bet that the problem has been sorted.

This forum prefers that you NOT necropost. :cool:
Looks like Michael tried to post a thread on this topic, but failed...I'm guessing it may have ended up in an endless 'moderation loop'

Michael, please repost your thread so we can help you with you specific issue

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Looks like Michael tried to post a thread on this topic, but failed...I'm guessing it may have ended up in an endless 'moderation loop'

Michael, please repost your thread so we can help you with you specific issue
No, Michael likely hit "preview" instead of "submit". With all of your research powers, you'd know that's an ongoing issue...

No, Michael likely hit "preview" instead of "submit". With all of your research powers, you'd know that's an ongoing issue...
It just seemed strange to me that the actual title of the thread came up but not the info within the thread, there doesn't even appear to be any hint of a first post. Looks like a Moderation error to me.

If that type of error, Thread title with no thread, comes up from hitting preview instead of submit, you guys have some big bugs in your system here.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It just seemed strange to me that the actual title of the thread came up but not the info within the thread, there doesn't even appear to be any hint of a first post. Looks like a Moderation error to me.

If that type of error, Thread title with no thread, comes up from hitting preview instead of submit, you guys have some big bugs in your system here.
Not my system, not my bug. I'd suggest you research before posting silliness, though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">