• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Audio video recording

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Michigan. Does anyone know Michigan law for audio/ video taping someone, (a unfit mother) without their knowledge or consent. The state police say I can't do it. Lawyers say I can sometime but they are not specific. How can I gather evidence if I can't tape her?

quincy

I don't know where the original thread is, so I will answer here.

In Michigan it is a felony to record any conversation to which you are not a part - so if you are a participant in the conversation, it is OK - even if the other participant is not aware of the recording. Video taping without the consent of the person being videotaped is a felony IF the place where the videotaping is taking place can be considered "private", and it is punishable by 2 years in prison or $2000 or both.

CJane

I don't know where the original thread is, so I will answer here.

In Michigan it is a felony to record any conversation to which you are not a part - so if you are a participant in the conversation, it is OK - even if the other participant is not aware of the recording. Video taping without the consent of the person being videotaped is a felony IF the place where the videotaping is taking place can be considered "private", and it is punishable by 2 years in prison or $2000 or both.
AND the GETTING of the tape is only the first problem. It's almost a certainty that a judge wouldn't allow it in as evidence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">