• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Aunt & Uncle Rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mommy

What is the name of your state? California

My sister has two children that (I feel) she is not fit to take care of due to depression and other issues. Luckily, the father of her daughter is in the picture, and keeps her often. My nephew, who is 14, is left alone often, not made to go to school, generally not taken care of properly, in my opinion. My parents live in town, and feed and watch the kids after school, but it is the time he is at home that we worry about him. We have offered my sister to take him in on a permanent basis.

We also have two children; my son goes to the same school as my nephew, so we figured it would be a good situation all around. He would have a ride to school each day, meals, a family life, etc.

My question, can he just move in, or do we need to set-up something more legal? If so, why? Thank you!

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? California

My sister has two children that (I feel) she is not fit to take care of due to depression and other issues. Luckily, the father of her daughter is in the picture, and keeps her often. My nephew, who is 14, is left alone often, not made to go to school, generally not taken care of properly, in my opinion. My parents live in town, and feed and watch the kids after school, but it is the time he is at home that we worry about him. We have offered my sister to take him in on a permanent basis.

We also have two children; my son goes to the same school as my nephew, so we figured it would be a good situation all around. He would have a ride to school each day, meals, a family life, etc.

My question, can he just move in, or do we need to set-up something more legal? If so, why? Thank you!
You have NO "rights" to a child that is not yours.

If it's okay with your sister that her son moves in with you, then she can sign a temporary guardianship for you to get him medical care. He's already enrolled in school.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And where is the boy's father?

Seriously - if you feel the boy's being neglected, report it to the authorities. You have no right to just "take" him from his Mom, just because you "feel" she's unfit. :rolleyes:

Mommy

Reply - Thank You

He is not in the picture.

Seriously - if you feel the boy's being neglected, report it to the authorities. You have no right to just "take" him from his Mom, just because you "feel" she's unfit.
I would not "just take" my nephew, I would arrange it with his mother, as I mentioned in my posting. If I ever felt that he was in danger, I would certainly report to the authorities, but this is not the case.

I guess all that I was wondering is if I need to fill out any legal documentation to allow him to stay in my home, and this was answered in the previous post. I will into the temporary guardianship. Thank you, everyone.

Silverplum

He is not in the picture.
Legally, he'd better be. Mom can't just hand the child over to anyone except Dad, unless there are court orders saying otherwise.
Mommy said:
Seriously - if you feel the boy's being neglected, report it to the authorities. You have no right to just "take" him from his Mom, just because you "feel" she's unfit.
I would not "just take" my nephew, I would arrange it with his mother, as I mentioned in my posting. If I ever felt that he was in danger, I would certainly report to the authorities, but this is not the case.

I guess all that I was wondering is if I need to fill out any legal documentation to allow him to stay in my home, and this was answered in the previous post. I will into the temporary guardianship. Thank you, everyone.
You're welcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">