• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The baby's dad's parents have threatened to take full custody!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I'm currently pregnant and single. The father of the child's parents want to take me to court to get full custody of my baby. Me nor the baby's father want this to happen. I still live at home and they want to convince the court that I live in an unhealthy environment for the baby. There isn't actually anything wrong with where I live, they just dislike my family. I do know that they have a good lawyer, and that scares me because they are a very manipulative family. The dad already took away custody from his own children's mom over 10 years ago, so he has a lot of court experience. What can I do to keep them from getting full custody in court?

Just Blue

I'm currently pregnant and single. The father of the child's parents want to take me to court to get full custody of my baby. Me nor the baby's father want this to happen. I still live at home and they want to convince the court that I live in an unhealthy environment for the baby. There isn't actually anything wrong with where I live, they just dislike my family. I do know that they have a good lawyer, and that scares me because they are a very manipulative family. The dad already took away custody from his own children's mom over 10 years ago, so he has a lot of court experience. What can I do to keep them from getting full custody in court?
Are you a minor? If so...How old are you? How old is dad? What is the (per the GP's point of view) unhealthy environment?

Are you a minor? If so...How old are you? How old is dad? What is the (per the GP's point of view) unhealthy environment?
I'm 19, and the baby's father is 20.

I have a big family, so there is currently 8 people living in this house. They think our household is "chaotic" because of how many family members we have.

Proserpina

I'm 19, and the baby's father is 20.

I have a big family, so there is currently 8 people living in this house. They think our household is "chaotic" because of how many family members we have.

And you're all in WA?

Hon, unless your boyfriend's parent/s are able to prove that BOTH of you are unfit they have NO chance of getting custody. And if you were both that bad, they would have already contacted CPS, right?

Don't let them bully you like this. Do NOT agree to anything.

If they actually file suit against you, please post back and let us know.

And you're all in WA?

Hon, unless your boyfriend's parent/s are able to prove that BOTH of you are unfit they have NO chance of getting custody. And if you were both that bad, they would have already contacted CPS, right?

Okay, thank you so much. I've just been freaking out all day. I wasn't sure what kind of power they could have if they tried to do this.

LdiJ

And you're all in WA?

Also, please don't be intimidated by the fact that they have money and a family attorney. Parent's have constitutional rights to the care and custody of their children.

In fact, if you and your boyfriend want to make SURE that they cannot do anything, then there is one sure way to guarantee that they cannot.

If your boyfriend does not sign the Affidavit of Paternity at the hospital then he will not be the legal father of the child until he goes to court and establishes paternity via DNA testing. If he is not the legal father then his parents cannot do squat. They cannot file to establish his paternity only he can, and until his paternity is established they have absolutely no standing to bring any case to court.

Also, please don't be intimidated by the fact that they have money and a family attorney. Parent's have constitutional rights to the care and custody of their children.

In fact, if you and your boyfriend want to make SURE that they cannot do anything, then there is one sure way to guarantee that they cannot.

If your boyfriend does not sign the Affidavit of Paternity at the hospital then he will not be the legal father of the child until he goes to court and establishes paternity via DNA testing. If he is not the legal father then his parents cannot do squat. They cannot file to establish his paternity only he can, and until his paternity is established they have absolutely no standing to bring any case to court.
That is very helpful, thank you so much!

ecmst12

Of course, then you can't get child support from dad either (not court ordered anyway). And you won't be able to get any state aid without establishing paternity either.

CourtClerk

And then your baby doesn't have a father

... and if God forbid he dies, the baby isn't eligible for dependent benefits that they may otherwise be eligible.

LdiJ

Of course, then you can't get child support from dad either (not court ordered anyway). And you won't be able to get any state aid without establishing paternity either.
That is absolutely true as well. However the longer it takes for dad to establish paternity, the less standing the paternal grandparents would have to initiate any court action.

Proserpina

..OP, please understand that in WA, the chances of the grandparents obtaining custody OR court-ordered visitation against the wishes of a fit parent are so slim as to render them practically non-existent.

Let your child have a father.

Frankly, I'm surprised the alternative was even suggested. :confused:

LdiJ

..OP, please understand that in WA, the chances of the grandparents obtaining custody OR court-ordered visitation against the wishes of a fit parent are so slim as to render them practically non-existent.

Let your child have a father.

Frankly, I'm surprised the alternative was even suggested. :confused:
I suggested it because wealthy grandparents can sometimes make life very miserable for parents...and because the initial post seemed to indicate that both parents were on the same page.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">