• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

babysitting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jcole14

What is the name of your state? Kansas
I do not know what to do? My son is 8 months old and lives with his mother. We have joint legal custody. My problem is that she lives with her parents and her mother does the baby sitting while she is at work. I have visitation on tue. and thur. evenings and every weekend. I just found out that her parents are going on vacation and are going to have my son's grandmother babysit while they are gone. The problem with this is that I do not believe that his grandmother is a capable babysitting due to that she is deaf and has to use sign language. I care for my son's safety during this time. What are my rights in a sutuation such as this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

C

ChevyGirl

Hey, just learned about the "first right of refusal" on another post and someone had posted this link about it. Go there and read up about it. And thanks to whomever it was that posted the link. You should be able to watch the child whenever she needs a babysitter.

www.deltabravo.net/custody/firstrefusal.htm

J

jcole14

Now the question is what do i do if she goes ahead and has his grandmother babysit. This would not suprise me at all considering her and her parents have lied to me several times about things that have to deal with my son. Do I have the right to take my child out of that household.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm not sure I understand..... your son's grandmother babysits while mom works, his grandparents are going on vacation, and his grandmother (deaf) is babysitting. Do you mean great-grandmother? Since deaf people are also parents sometimes, I'm not sure that precludes her being able to (safely) care for your son. What is it - exactly - that you're concerned about?

C

ChevyGirl

You need to call your lawyer, or just any lawyer that will give you a second or a paralegal, and ask them what you can do and also ask them how to enforce the "First Right of Rufusal". I would just pretend to the girlfriend like you don't know anything and just pretend you are stupid as to the way things are and then just jump out with it AFTER you have found a way to enforce it.

J

jcole14

My oops, yes great-grandmother. the problem is that i do not agree with this situation and firmly belive that they will go behind my back and have her babysit anyway....

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Right of first refusal - has to be specified in the custody order to be enforceable.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
jcole14 said:
My oops, yes great-grandmother. the problem is that i do not agree with this situation and firmly belive that they will go behind my back and have her babysit anyway....
Yeah, I understood that you don't agree with it. But the question remains - WHY?

C

ChevyGirl

Thanks mommatiger, I am glad to know that it has to be in the order, I will make sure that gets in the papers with our custody battle in December just in case we don't get full custody with her supervised visitation so that when she tries to pull this crap with dumping baby off with anyone and every druggie there is, we will be able to enforce it!!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
yep - it's a good thing to have in there. Of course, it only works when you live close enough to one another to make it feasible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">