• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Babysitting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tandt

What is the name of your state? Washington State

My ex wife just sprang a surprise on me and I want to know if I have a chance of fighting it. We have 50/50 custody of our two children, a boy age 9 and a girl who is turning 14 tomorrow. We’ve been divorced for three years. I got re-married a year ago. During my ex’s week with the kids they always came over to my house before and after school during the week until she got off work and also during the summer they came to my house during her week and either myself or my new wife watched them. It’s been great for them and us. My ex has always hated that my new wife was watching our kids, as my new wife is doing a much better job then she ever did and she knows it. Tonight she said that during her week she’s going to make my 14 year old daughter watch my son for 7 hours a day, 4 days a week, until she gets back home from work, and that I can’t do anything about it. She said that because my daughter is 14 she’s of legal age. This may be true but it certainly is not in the best interest of the children. My question is does anyone think that a family court will see it the same way? Thanks for your response.

TandT

tigger22472

No one here can tell you exactly what a judge or court would do. With that stated, I have to say more then likely your wife would have a good chance. The most that you could probably try for is to see about letting the 10 year old come to your home and you MIGHT get somewhere in court with that but it's unlikely the 14 year old would be ordered to do so. Reality is that she's right, legally the 14 year old is old enough by law to babysit the other child and the burden would land on you to prove she's not mature enough to do so.

tandt

Thanks for the reply, that's pretty much what I was thinking too but I wanted to throw it out there. I have a feeling that after a week of watching my son my daughter is going to put pressure on her mom to get things back to the way they were.

LdiJ

tandt said:
Thanks for the reply, that's pretty much what I was thinking too but I wanted to throw it out there. I have a feeling that after a week of watching my son my daughter is going to put pressure on her mom to get things back to the way they were.
Don't count on that. When I was that age I also watched my younger siblings in the summer. I actually loved it. Yes, there were really frustrating, irritating things about it...but it gave me a real sense of growing up and being "an adult"...LOL.

Plus...I have to admit that getting to "lord it over" on my siblings was a big ego trip too....lol....I am kidding...somewhat.

Seriously though....your daughter might learn a great deal from this and it might help her become a more responsible teen.....it also could be a disaster too and your predictions might be right. It all depends on your daughter and her maturity levels. She honestly might surprize you.

My youngest brother and I have a special bond that dates back to that time....my sister (just 18 months younger than me) still picks on me to date about those summers...we are now 48 and 46 respectively...However I also remind her that when I got a summer job she got to take over the role...and she loved it too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">