+ Reply to Thread
    Golfball is offline Member

Babysitting and paperwork

What is the name of your state? Will be MI in this case.

My fiancee is going on a business trip in a couple months, and has asked me to essentially babysit her 8-year old son (also my stepson-to-be) for the duration of that trip. (Dad is not in the picture at all.)

What sort of paperwork will I need for stuff like medical treatment and other necessaries? I don't think I'll have to talk w/ his teachers, although I'll be (temporarily) added to the list of people permitted to pick him up from after-school day care for that time.

For (emergency) medical treatment, will I just need a medical power of attorney, or will I need something else?
    casa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfball View Post

My fiancee is going on a business trip in a couple months, and has asked me to essentially babysit her 8-year old son (also my stepson-to-be) for the duration of that trip. (Dad is not in the picture at all.)

What sort of paperwork will I need for stuff like medical treatment and other necessaries? I don't think I'll have to talk w/ his teachers, although I'll be (temporarily) added to the list of people permitted to pick him up from after-school day care for that time.

For (emergency) medical treatment, will I just need a medical power of attorney, or will I need something else?
    She can leave you a signed Emergency consent to treatment & his ins. cards/Dr.'s information.
    penelope10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfball View Post

One of the things you could look into into as well as getting a medical POA is checking with the nearest hospital or his Dr office to see what they require. For instance, the closest hospital to my home has a medical form/poa that they like used in these situations.

Your fiancee may want to also check with the Dr office in regards to additional forms they may require her to fill out. I just had to fill out new forms about guardianship, medical releases etc,. the last time I took my child to the Dr. about a month ago. They too, may have their own form/poa that they want Mom to fill out.
    Last edited by penelope10; 03-13-2008 at 01:25 PM.