• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back child support from lump sum paymt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vickie_mcelroy

I live in Atlanta, GA, after leaving my husband in Missouri in 1992. We have four children, who came with me to Atlanta. I filed for child support in 1996(?), and only received one payment in April 1997. He never paid any more. He will be receiving a large lump sum payment from SSI, for back disability pay, approx. around $30,000. My children are grown and married now,but is there anyway for them to get the back child support from this lump sum payment that he will be receiving.

S

swthoss

You could get your local child support office to file to collect from the ss office. They will take the monet from his irs return, and any money he recieves from the government. Do it quick before they mail the check.

L

LadyBlu

vickie_mcelroy said:
I live in Atlanta, GA, after leaving my husband in Missouri in 1992. We have four children, who came with me to Atlanta. I filed for child support in 1996(?), and only received one payment in April 1997. He never paid any more. He will be receiving a large lump sum payment from SSI, for back disability pay, approx. around $30,000. My children are grown and married now,but is there anyway for them to get the back child support from this lump sum payment that he will be receiving.
That depends on the ages of the children,. If they have all reached the age of 18 but not exceeded 20 then most states will still allow you to collect. Have you been persistent in your attempts to collect the support? Often times that has alot to do with if you would be able to collect it now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">