• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back Child Support with no court order?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pony1

Hi, I live in CA.

I was wondering how I could be charged with back child support when A.) There was never a previous court order. (My child is now 6) and B.) I have been sending the biological mom money and paying for doctors, day care, etc. ever since the child was born, totalling over 29,000.00. They charged me one year of back child support. I understand the current support, but why is there back child support? I don't understand. Maybe it is because they made the order without any of my input or any of my income and expense declarations. Anyway, any input as to why this would happen and how it could be stopped would be appreciated.

Thanks

C

cott2

i know exactly what you mean.i turned over custody of my son to my mom because i couldn't support him on my own because his father left when i got pregnant(never married).
we went to court and the judge asked her if she wanted court ordered child support and she said "no,she knew i would help out all i could" so none was ordered through the va. courts.after she got custody she kicked me out of her house but i bought everything i could for him and also gave her money for bills and all.well, 3 years later i got a letter to go to division of child support to set up a regular monthly support for my son and i found out as soon as my mom got custody she went and filed for welfare and a.d.c for my son and told them i never gave her any money to help support my son and i had not seen him since she had got custody,i had no receipts to prove anything that i had paid for or the money i had given to her so i had to pay back the state over $4,000.00 that they had paid to her with interest and i'm still paying on it.keep all receipts for any money you give for your child and if you have them great,if you don't there's nothing you can do,get a lawyer...i have been threatened with jail time and losing my license because i trusted my own mother,don't trust anyone.reply to me if you want anymore info. because i have been going through this and more for fourteen years.good luck.

Ambr

why was a support order made without any of your input? the NCP is usually notified of hearings and able to submit the required information and to supply input for deductions, etc. did you not respond within the required time?

you could attempt to fight the back support, but you need to have proof of that 29,000 that you have spent. i am talking lots of receipts form the daycare, stores, etc. there is a chance to beat it if you can support your claims.

for the current amount that you pay, you can request a review if the circumstances has changed. you might try a online support calculator and see how close the order is or if it is way off. they are pretty simple to use, just fill in the amounts and go from there. but you need the income information of the CP.

C

cott2

when my mom got custody of my son she went straight to social services and applied for everything she could for my son and one month later she started receiving checks for ADC and i was giving her money too,but because i had no reciepts for any of it they told me it was considered gifts and she denied me ever giving her money or buying him anything so because she was the one who opened the case to begin with they said they had to take her word and not mine.they had all info. on me because at the time i was receiving assistance for my daughter because of her dad and i was even living with my mom on and off for 5 years or more and they knew it,addresses on my assistance applications,but they still didn't tell me she was getting help and she didn't tell me either,she just kept quiet because she was making out like a bandit getting 2 child supports. when they notify me it was over 5 years later which accounts for the over $4,000.00 i have to pay back. my only choice is to get a lawyer and get him to check out social services and DCSE and all records on my case.i need advice on this too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">