• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Battle with Sister for custody of child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Shami

I live in Florida. My sister, in Arkansas. I am married and have one child of my own. I am 24. My sister is 17. She has no permanent residence, no job, and is pregnant with another child who has a different father than the first child. She is currently single. The child in question is her first child, a year and a half old girl. I want custody this child, my niece, because of my sister's inability to care for her but she will not give her to me willingly. I believe it is in the best interest of the child to be with someone who can care for her fully which my sister cannot do. How can I get custody of her? Oh and the child currently lives with me. She has not been with her bio mother for several months.

K

Kelly143

Check to see what the residency requirements are in FL. Usually, if the child has lived in a state for 6 months or so, they are considered a resident of that state. Then, if the requirements have been met, file for custody. It will look good that the child has been with you for months, and I would imagine that your sister has not had much contact, or helped out financially. You may very well be awarded custody (although they will probably not terminate her parental rights and she will most likely get visitation) based on the fact that the little girl has lived with you for so long and the mother has no place to live, or means of supporting the child. Hope everything works out for you and your niece.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">