• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Becoming Legal Guardian

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

OliAle

TX, I wish to care for my sister. For the past six months she has been attending a medical preparatory in a school district which we currently are not a part of. I take her to school every morning and for the the past six months the school has arranged to drop her off.

Being that the student is an out of district the school now refuses to accomodate her transportation needs. I was informed that the only way I can change this is if I become her legal guardian and move to the school district. Moving will not be a problem, but I would like to explore the legal consequences of becoming her legal guardian or any other alternative that would allow me to add her to my health insurance policy and retain her at her current school. Pls provide advice.:confused:

B

Boxcarbill

OliAle said:
TX, I wish to care for my sister. For the past six months she has been attending a medical preparatory in a school district which we currently are not a part of. I take her to school every morning and for the the past six months the school has arranged to drop her off.

Being that the student is an out of district the school now refuses to accomodate her transportation needs. I was informed that the only way I can change this is if I become her legal guardian and move to the school district. Moving will not be a problem, but I would like to explore the legal consequences of becoming her legal guardian or any other alternative that would allow me to add her to my health insurance policy and retain her at her current school. Pls provide advice.:confused:
If you want to put your sister on your health insurance and you also want the legal right to decide her legal residence, you need to file a suit affecting the parent/child relationship seeking managing conservatorship of the child or seeking to be named joint managing conservatorship with your mother of the child. You will need to have the exclusive right to decide the child's legal residence. (Only one of the joint managing conservators can be given the exclusive right to decide legal residence and to collect, distribute and enforce child support (if this applies)). You and your mother would have shared joint legal rights in everything else. This motion could be an Agreed Motion and Order, brought by your mother, or by virtue of the child having lived with you for six months and some part of that six months being within 90 days immediately preceding the filing of the suit, you have standing to bring suit in your own right.

Now in your earlier post, you stated that "the father is no longer in the picture." Is he alive? If he is, he will have to receive service of process (notice of the suit). This can be accomplished in a number of ways depending upon the circumstances. A family law lawyer can advise you what have to be done in this regard.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">