• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Biological Child, No Custody, Rights to Communicate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ian88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I was living in Florida and dating a girl (who was separated from her husband) in 1995, she disappeared after a few months of dating, she found me again a year and a half later, told me she got pregnant and thought it would be better for me if I didn't know and moved away to live with her parents. I met with her at that point and met the baby, the child's name is Robyn (the mother is Kim). I was in the military at the time and traveling a lot but kept in touch with her. After about 2 years of being in touch Kim disappeared again. Over the past 15 years I've been working on getting in touch with Kim again. A year ago (Feb 2011) Robyn got in touch with me via Facebook. She told me Kim told her about me but she was forbidden to get in touch with me, so she was doing so with out her moms permission. I told her I was happy to hear from her and wanted to get to know her but thought it was important that Kim know we were communicating. She told me she was scared to tell her as Kim and her new step father would get angry and punish her in some way. We communicated on and off for a year via Facebook, but a week ago I noticed her profile went offline. I fear her mom found out she reached out to me and she's in trouble.

What I'd like to know is what rights I have in this situation. I live in NJ and Kim/Robyn are in KY. I don't plan to do anything aggressive but I want to know exactly what my legal rights are, and should i be legally able to communicate with her at her age (shes's 16 now).

Thanks in advance for the help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I was living in Florida and dating a girl (who was separated from her husband) in 1995, she disappeared after a few months of dating, she found me again a year and a half later, told me she got pregnant and thought it would be better for me if I didn't know and moved away to live with her parents. I met with her at that point and met the baby, the child's name is Robyn (the mother is Kim). I was in the military at the time and traveling a lot but kept in touch with her. After about 2 years of being in touch Kim disappeared again. Over the past 15 years I've been working on getting in touch with Kim again. A year ago (Feb 2011) Robyn got in touch with me via Facebook. She told me Kim told her about me but she was forbidden to get in touch with me, so she was doing so with out her moms permission. I told her I was happy to hear from her and wanted to get to know her but thought it was important that Kim know we were communicating. She told me she was scared to tell her as Kim and her new step father would get angry and punish her in some way. We communicated on and off for a year via Facebook, but a week ago I noticed her profile went offline. I fear her mom found out she reached out to me and she's in trouble.

What I'd like to know is what rights I have in this situation. I live in NJ and Kim/Robyn are in KY. I don't plan to do anything aggressive but I want to know exactly what my legal rights are, and should i be legally able to communicate with her at her age (shes's 16 now).

Thanks in advance for the help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Was she still married when the child was born? If so, the husband would be the legal father of the child. In order to claim paternity, you would need to file to establish it, but in many states, you've waited far too long. You need to research the laws in your state to see how long you have to establish paternity WHEN A LEGAL FATHER ALREADY EXISTS.

Meanwhile, you can not contact the child. If Mom says 'no', that means 'no'. Your best bet is probably to wait until she's 18. If you were willing to wait 16 years to do anything, another 2 years probably won't matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">