• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Biological father wants to give up rights to child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NCDad

We live in NC and the biological father lives in another state up north. He want to "sign off" and give up his rights to the child living here. The lawyer we have seems to be dragging his/her feet on getting the paperwork in order. Is there a standard form to fill out that we can get this part in order before we proceed for adoption? This is very frustrating to everyone involved. My daughter wants me to adopt her, I want to adopt her, the biological father wants to give up his rights... what more has to happen?

Thank you,

3kids4me

Tpr

Also in NC
interestingly enough, I am also dealing with this situation. On Wednesday, I met with my lawyer and was told that if the father has not paid any support for the last 6 months or had any contact with the child for the last 6 months you may file TPR. If the father agrees to this it is a realitively easy process. $40 filing fee, $25 to serve the papers, court costs & attorney fees (Definitely worth it!)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">