• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boarding school advice please?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcbf95

I'm from Kansas, and I'm a 15 year old sophomore, soon to be 16. I'm looking to go attend the Kansas Academy of Mathematics and Science. It is an early-entry-to-college program. Basically I move to a college as a high school junior, and stay on campus the whole year like every other college kid would. I guess it could be considered a boarding school, my dad considers it that.

My parents are divorce with equal custody. A year and a half ago, my mother had custody over me.

My mother supports me in going to this academy, which I should mention is an honor; only 30 kids are selected from the state every year. My irrational father says that the only reason I want to go is that I don't like him, and therefore says he will NOT let me go. He does not listen to reason, and nobody can convince him of what reality is.

I was wondering, do I need his cooperation/signature/whatever to attend the academy? If I do, can I appeal to a judge because he won't allow me?

Just in case anybody was wondering, no, I'm not just a spoiled brat or whatever. Everybody who I've talked to about this (a great many people) agree that he is being completely irrational, and that the academy is a great honor to which I should attend.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

I'm from Kansas, and I'm a 15 year old sophomore, soon to be 16. I'm looking to go attend the Kansas Academy of Mathematics and Science. It is an early-entry-to-college program. Basically I move to a college as a high school junior, and stay on campus the whole year like every other college kid would. I guess it could be considered a boarding school, my dad considers it that.

My parents are divorce with equal custody. A year and a half ago, my mother had custody over me.

My mother supports me in going to this academy, which I should mention is an honor; only 30 kids are selected from the state every year. My irrational father says that the only reason I want to go is that I don't like him, and therefore says he will NOT let me go. He does not listen to reason, and nobody can convince him of what reality is.

I was wondering, do I need his cooperation/signature/whatever to attend the academy? If I do, can I appeal to a judge because he won't allow me?

Just in case anybody was wondering, no, I'm not just a spoiled brat or whatever. Everybody who I've talked to about this (a great many people) agree that he is being completely irrational, and that the academy is a great honor to which I should attend.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

As someone else posted, you yourself don't have any standing to do anything.

However, Mom certainly does and it would at least on the surface appear to be worth consideration.

You could also have your Mom sign up for her own account here, and with the actual court papers at hand - that might help us help her further :)

(That way she can perhaps explain the exact terms of custody and all of that)

majomom1

Mom really needs to post the exact wording in the court order regarding custody and decision making.

It is the holiday... so be patient. You probably won't get many answers before tomorrow.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It should also be mentioned that it is entirely likely that Dad will not be required to help with any of the expense if he's against this plan.

formerNCM

:rolleyes: REALLY? I didn't know that. :rolleyes:
Snarky already on Christmas morning? Tsk tsk - did Santa leave coal in your stocking?
Enough with the sarcasm already! YOU might get it, but since OP is a teen, she may not be aware of how much hangs on phrasing.

It should also be mentioned that it is entirely likely that Dad will not be required to help with any of the expense if he's against this plan.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Snarky already on Christmas morning? Tsk tsk - did Santa leave coal in your stocking?
Enough with the sarcasm already! YOU might get it, but since OP is a teen, she may not be aware of how much hangs on phrasing.
I don't tolerate fools well. <hands NCM a mirror>

And OP has already been told her mother needs to sign on and provide us more info.

majomom1

You are doing a pretty good job of being snarky as well.

Stealth said "likely"... and is most likely correct.

majomom1

How is stealth "likely" correct? That was stealth's experience which doesn't make it true for everyone.
I am familiar with KS and that is pretty standard here. The courts will not make a parent pay for this type of school. They will both have to agree, or no go.

It is most likely that Dad is being asked to pay half of this, otherwise it makes absolutely no sense for him to refuse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">