• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brother helping brother with visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Thecaretaker

in New York
I had to move to a different State than New York for employment a few years ago. I have shared custody for my child but fulfilling the visitation is distance difficult and my x-girlfriend is now blocking all my attempts to maintain contact. I want my brother to be able to go get my child for my visitation and I can call and video chat and stuff through his home - He essentially be my retained care provider for my child during my visitation allotment. I want him to be legally empowered to be able to go get her and to be on the list for temporary custody placement should the police or children services were to be called and she is in an unsafe situation. What paper work do I need? A Police Officer said I only need to send my brother a notarized document to make it legal for him to act in my place for visitation - Is that true?

Silverplum

in New York
I had to move to a different State than New York for employment a few years ago. I have shared custody for my child but fulfilling the visitation is distance difficult and my x-girlfriend is now blocking all my attempts to maintain contact. I want my brother to be able to go get my child for my visitation and I can call and video chat and stuff through his home - He essentially be my retained care provider for my child during my visitation allotment. I want him to be legally empowered to be able to go get her and to be on the list for temporary custody placement should the police or children services were to be called and she is in an unsafe situation. What paper work do I need? A Police Officer said I only need to send my brother a notarized document to make it legal for him to act in my place for visitation - Is that true?
That's not how your parenting time works. You can't assign your time to someone else like that.

Do you have a court-ordered schedule? If so and Mom does not comply, you can file for contempt.

anearthw

A police officer is not a lawyer (and even then, common sense dictates that a notarized document cannot force a mother to hand her child off to a substitute daddy. Absurd).

So, do you have court-ordered visitation? Long distance parenting plan? Filed for contempt?

Your ex did not make the baby with your family, you cannot force her or even expect that she would agree to this.

And finally, notarized documents are not court orders. One is not worth a penny in this situation.

CJane

Is there a reason you can't skype or call your child while she is with the other parent?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">